Just want to know the steps involved in firing a volunteer firefighter?

Views: 3636

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree if there is no paper trail you are screwed. You also need a list in your roster with the names in case later on down the road they try to come back after a change of leadership. We ran into this and and it saved us a lot of grief. Again DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT and the quote of the day is CYA !!!!
(cover your ass)
Mike, Will all those same members who didnt agree with the chief be there next time to vote on whether or not to keep him? Ive just got a hunch that he is looking over his shoulder and feels threatened by what he sees coming up behind him. OR we dont quite have the whole story. Required by law or not he owes everyone an explaination. Keep The Faith. Pete
I'm pretty sure they will vote that he goes. This has created quite a problem on the department. You hit the nail on the head with ur hunch.
No difference than in a paid one. Now at will employee state laws or right to work states are somewhat different, but for the most part... people think you can't fire a volunteer.... thats crap. So do you think it is ok for any tom, dick, and harry to walk in the station and say well I am volunteering today?

No not likely, so why would the other end be any different. Volunteer departments are held to the same labor board laws, discriminatory and harrassment, etc. So you need hiring, disciplinary,
termination policies / procedures, and more importantly justification. all that needs to be documented otherwise you will be in court just like a paid department.

Being sued and that my friend will come out of your own personal wallet.

In your case, speak to a lawyer pro-bono for letting you go for a lack of a reason, he may take it on and say yes we can work on this.... otherwise, there has to be a reason bro?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service