Ok we have all heard them

"Firefighters are Whores and Drunks ......"

I have personally be called things I wish not to repeat based on my job, how did these rumors start ? I am aware that the Fire Service is very family orientated. For fun what is the stereotype you hate the most  ?

Views: 5741

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John,

No sweat. Glad we got it cleared up.
Thanks for the forgiveness
didnt you say your not a drunk
I try not to use the term volunteer firefighter in referring to myself, despite being on an all-volunteer department. Some people can't get past the image of the drunken volunteer in the beer garden after parades, and most don't equate the term volunteer with highly qualified. So.....I suppose I'm a certified Firefighter II, EMT, Hazmat Tech, Fire Service Instructor and Lieutenant on a volunteer department! LOL
Well said at the end there Paul!
he he he
NOW you decide to keep the story straight...
Great to know West Philly - I hear tomorrow is your payday... so I will be over and you can take me to dinner ;-) sounds like you got extra cash to throw around and I need some dinner !
LOL - I should have posted this all in the right discussion - seems we hijacked this conversation - LOL
You go girl! I can't stand guys who think the "brotherhood" is a term reserved for career firefighters! I'm a high school special ed teacher with a masters and a volunteer on two different departments. I'm currently a lieutenant on one and a firefighter/EMT on the other. Been in the fire service for about twenty years. I recently attended the funerals of the two Bridgeport brothers killed in a fire in a three decker. We lined up shoulder to shoulder with guys from all over the country, including many from FDNY, and noone so much as cast a sarcastic glance or grunted a disparaging remark.

I look up to fellow firefighters, regardless of whether they're career or volunteer. I learn what I can from others and hope I may have some knowledge to share with them.

Bridgeport (CT) Firefighter Baik entered the fire service at the age of 47 and had been on the job about two years prior to his LODD. I left a good paying job to pursue his dream. I definitely don't think it had to do anything with a paycheck!

You become a firefighter for the love of it, and that holds true for career guys or vollies. Copping an attitude about who's seen more, knows more, or has done more flys if the face of what the firefighting brotherhood is all about.
John,
Really, there's nothing to forgive.

Heather,
I see you're willing to travel great distances for a meal. You must have some kind of appetite!
Paul,

Has someone in this discussion led you to believe that he thinks the "Brotherhood" is a "term reserved for career firefighters"?

As for what motivated Michael Baik to leave a good-paying job to become a firefighter in Bridgeport, I can't say for sure. What I am reasonably sure of is that a paycheck almost certainly had quite a lot to do with it - and the time off, excellent benefits, job security, and pension - (Not to mention the fact that firefighters in Connecticut and vicinity are among the most highly paid in the country.)

And some guys do become firefighters for the love of it. Some don't. I didn't. I had no idea whether I'd love it, like it, put up with it, or hate it. I became a firefighter because I needed a job. I know that's not the usual FFN line about wanting to serve my community and helping others in their time of need, it's just the truth. It's true about a lot of paid guys who also happen to be dedicated to their profession and who love the job. (And the paycheck.)
I think by the time she walks there, she will have worked up a large need for food so get the funds ready WP!! Oh, John ... I will take two dozen eggs -making a cheese strata for the crew tomorrow!! :D

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service