Should we change the way we are to have proper social standings for the city in which we work?

I dont quite know how I want to say this.        Should a person change the type of people that they hang out with just to succeed in the fire service?

Example:

When a friend of mine was hired onto a Unnamed Fire Department he moved away from everyone  he had ever known just to chase his dream.     He took pride in the one thing he enjoyed he rode his bike every day.    He met other people that he says are really good people (honest, hard working, and very family oriented) they also rode.    Well apparently these people arnt in the upper class of the society in this town.  

His chief called him into his office the other day and told him that he had complaints that one of his new firemen was hanging out with a bunch of tattooed up drugie bikers.    He said that they dont do any of that infact they are the kind of people that would take some one in and shelter them if they wanted off of drugs.   

He is caught between chasing his dream or standing up for good people  regardless of the social economic standings.       We were raised that you dont look down to any one and you better have a darn good reason talk bad about anyone.     We were the kinda guys that would walk up to a party in high school and that geek that was getting picked on  we would stand up for him and befriend them.        Life is to short to be judging people because they ride a bike or have long hair. 

My question in this disscussion is mainly what do you think he should do?

Should he go against every thing he has ever known to succeed in a career  or should he conform to the way the higher class wants him to be?

Views: 141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I live in a world where people think I am Paul Sr.

What's wrong with riding motorcycles?

What you do on your off duty time is your own business.

The last time I looked, we had certain rights as american citizens. Unfortunately, in order to be successful, one has to decide whether to blend in or be a rogue. If you want to be successful in the fire service, many times you have to suck it up and play the games. It's not fair, it's just the way it is.

So maybe it's a good idea to go stealth? Play the game until you promote past the nonsense. Then be the person you are, without worries of how people perceive you. Continue to be professional, and very knowledgeable about your job and eventually people will reverse the mind set.

"Oh your talking about Loyd? That guy totally has it together. and oh yea, he rides a bike"

Be yourself, you won't regret it in the long run.

CBz
Capt Busy and Chief Goodrich have it right. Tell your friend to stay true to himself, be honorable and live life to the fullest.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service