Should a fire department use unmarked fire vehicles verses identified vehicles?

Recent FFN discussion revealed that in some jurisdictions, some fire department vehicles are intentionally, and often times at great expense, disguised to look like an everyday ordinary Joe Citizen vehicle. 

1. Is being "low-key" of value to the fire service? 
  2. Should we choose generic colored vehicles to blend in with hidden lights and sirens like the law enforcement detectives? 
  3. Or, should we use identified vehicles that have conspicuous markings identifying the vehicle as being a part of the fire department? 
  4. What does your department do?

This takes stealth to new levels... taxi-police car...

This is out-of-the-box thinking I suppose...

There's always the good ol' Ford Crown Vic...

Is it really that "stealth"?

Views: 5224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with alot of you Fire and EMS should be easily seen. Police should be the only undercover cars. But in volunteer departments, you use your personal vehicle to respond to the station to get the truck.
Yes, it's my personal vehicle. My insurance company has no problem with the fact that I'm a firefighter. In fact I believe that NY prohibits an insurance company from "bonging", bumping up, or even counting an accident while responding with lights illuminated. However, if you wreck on the way home, you're not protected from whatever you insurance company does to you.

Thanks for the tip on Galls, magnetic might be just the ticket. I'll look into it.
I think that all vehicles owned by the FD should be clearly marked as FD vehicles. Over here brigades get a allocation of radios to put in private vehicles. These are usually Captain/cheif, Lieutenant's, or people who live a fair distance from the station and are willing to use their vehicle for FD dutys. These vehicles are unmarked and rarely have lights. They can install lights if they feel the need to.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service