There have been a few discussions in here on safety. Art "ChiefReason" Goodrich's latest "Don't Be Afraid" highlights a couple of NIOSH LODD reports. There was an extensive one on Acquired Structure Burns (NPFA 1403) and there is now a group to discuss such things.

My questions here are: Are we too safe (meet all NFPA standards or striving to), safe enough (meet many or most NFPA standards and feel you've done enough) or only safe-ish (meet hardly any or only a few NFPA standards and think that they're too much for most dept's)? Do you feel that NFPA is real-world in establishing our standards or it's something for just the rich kids to worry about?

Why would anyone enter a burning structure without putting on their masks?
Why would anyone have "excessive facial hair"? (recent annual fit test - I passed)
Why would anyone not wear seatbelts?
Why would anyone not require annual, thorough physicals?
Why would anyone utilize minors in any capacity other than strictly learn/observe?
Why is speeding ever acceptable?

Why would anyone, any department, ever be satisfied with being Safe-ish?

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can awnser all those questions but yall would yell at me
Answer away Loyd, all answers are valid-ish.
Jack, I'm sorry I can't answer any of those questions. They are great questions that I would love to see some answers to. As far as the facial hair issue goes, my Chief's response is, "I had someone tell me for 32 yrs. how to shave my face. I'm not going to be that way." He retired from the USAF reserves. It's a B.S. reason if you ask me but if he wants to do things a certain way, then that's how he does it.
1. Your department is poor and you dont have scbas.

2. They dont feel like shaving.( I do)

3. They saw someone die because of them. (yes I wear it now but I have a knife cliped to the belt)
4. They couldnt pass them.( I can and just did)

5. Small town and during the day theres only about 3-5 people in town. (I went growing up)

6. Come on man there aint nothing like breakin triple digits on 2 wheels!!!

and last but not least

7. BECAUSE THE OLDTIMERS DONT WANT TO CHANGE
(thats the way it was back home) not sayn thats every where
Capt.;
So he would allow "excessive facial hair", e.g. a beard? He does know that he would be held liable, doesn't he?
Yes he actually does allow beards. In fact our second Capt. has a beard. I would hope that he knows he would be held liable. Hell, he has a huge handle bar mustache that I'm sure would not fit into our masks. He has become extremely safety oriented but there are still some things we won't budge on.
Loyd
1) then they're not a fire department, just an organized mob with access to water.
2) the undertaker always shaves the body.
3) the number of times someone has died while wearing a seatbelt (almost which always would have killed them no matter what) is ridiculously small compared to the lives they've saved. The number that have died because they were wearing them, I would guess a fraction of the above.
4) the undertaker isn't going to care about your health.
5) see #1
6) I'm assuming, by triple digits, you mean fractures to your skull as a result of the sudden deceleration?
7) ever hear the expression, "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."
I told you you would yell at me lol. I tried to do some remeding on the scba situation. I tried to help with the old farts syndrome didnt work out for me.

I will tell you that there is one guy (the training officer) that isnt certified that drives around with certified firefighter tags on his pickup. Ya you guest it he isnt hes just the one that can drink the most beer.

your right but its sad that the younger people still call me so they can learn somthing.
I didn't yell at you, merely responded to your answers, all nice an calm like. I don't blame you for the situation, but it defies all logic how hell bent for death some people can be (including the knuckle heads that chub up doing triple digits on their 2 wheel coffins.)
LOL well lets just say I have figured out that its going to take one of my friends or family dying to change it around there
It's amazing that the gong ho-- safe-est ones have no regard for their own lives or their so called brothers while trying to save another ones life, is such a contradicting [don't care] statement. With all the information available today for even a layman to understand, it's just simply senseless!

1. We been doing it this way for years!
2. It will be alright, don't worry about it!
3. We train once a month, if it's not too cold or raining!
4. Man what you talking about, the capt. is fire proof!
what about that will never work around here! and my personal favorite If it aint broke dont fix it oh ya I forgot about the we havent got anyone hurt doing it this way and its been done this way for years!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service