Should the pump operator stay at the engine or wander around the scene? I'm asking because one of our people has a habbit of setting the engine and walking of. We are a volunteer department and have two engines with the computer operated pump. Supposedly set your pressure and watch. We lost prime momentarily the other day and he was at the rear of the engine away from the panel(top mount). Seems that if you are not at the pump when something happens you stand a good chance of either screwing up a pump or getting someone hurt. This is why we have the top mount so the operator can watch the fireground.

Views: 700

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

SO what happened when he walked away???? Anything or were those 4 guys ok?
The point Im trying to make is there is no absolutes in this job, especially with low staffing levels. We only have 3 on each rig and we just recently reduced our response to SFD calls by one unit. Taking our First alarm assignment from 12 to 9 firefighters.

Its easy to say we shouldnt be doing more with less, until you actual have to save someone then that goes out of the window.

I will bet those firefighters in Loudoun County VA are glad the DPO didnt stay at the rig since he is the one who threw the ladder to rescue them.
My question is what are you doing opening a valve without his knowledge, you should be the one understanding not to do that. Reality is pump operator helps set up dump tank, get pike poles, nozzles, etc. He must always multi task at first on scene.

Having said that, understand his primary job is to get water to the end of the hose and keep it there!
The fact that your PO is walking around is crazy! There is no reason (even on an external attack) that a PO should leave that panel once the pump is engaged.
Bob,

Of course there are no absolutes. (Assuming it's not considered an absolute to say so). The OP talked about a pump operator who has a tendency to "wander". If there is a legitimate purpose for a pump operator to be away from the apparatus - such as limited manpower or an emergency - there's no need for discussion. But those exceptions don't appear to be what the OP was talking about.
Plain and simple, he needs to stay with the truck!
Really no reason????? I just gave you several reasons why the DPO would need to leave the panel.
Yep have to agree the pump operator always stays with the truck.. if he isnt dealing with feeds going to the truck , and keeping an eye on water levels and what each line is doing etc.. he should still stay with the truck and observe.. Pumpy always stays with the truck!
A pump Operator needs to be at the panel just in case something was to happen he would be able to communicate that to command, make adjustments Etc. , whatever situation might occur
No matter what the situation the operator should not leave unless one thing, he or she are playing the 2 man band theme for the first 20 mins., I don't care if the truck is loaded with computers to run it or not. #2 I would sooner wnat to have a truck maybe with a computer to take care of the engine, I don't want anything running the pump but me, I'm in control not some computer. I have heard the on some trucks if something goes wrong that the puter shuts the truck down that poses a problem, with no puter the operator can fix and it does not shut down, saving lives.
I'll clarify a few things now that several scenarios have appeared. Our engines automaticlly adjust pressure if a line is shut down. If we are running 2 lines at 150 pounds it will adjust to 150 for the open line. as I said, we BOTH hooked up the second line. It may have not bled properly when the valve was opened and introduced air into the pump. I'm not the best, but I try to look out for the guys on the other end of the line.

I was engineer on a training evolution awhile back and had listened to the engine and pump to the point I could tell when a nozzle was shut off. If the pump changed pitch I was looking at the guages to see if there was a problem. A couple of times the chief was beside the engine and it changed and I was able to tell him what was going on. I spent 3 hours standing on the panel. I will call command at 1/4 tank intervals if we are pumping from the tank only. We all have radios and are in contact with command and the attack crews constantly.

There are times when there are only 2 of us on the engine, usually car fires, and one has to be command and engineer while the other is flying solo. This is usually the assistant chief and me or another firefighter. If it's me and the assistant chief we have usually discussed what we are going to do before we arrive and know who is going to do what on scene. I don't know what every one else does.
Even in the three man badn they have to leave sometimes. Like I have stated several times and no one has given a straight answer to. What if your officer anf firefighter are inside and a victim presents themselves on side A and your the only one there to rescue them? You still think its ok to just sit at the panel and ignore them? What if its one of your brothers calling a mayday? You still just gonna sit at the panel.

Im not advocating running around for the sake of running around, but whats more unsafe leaving the pumper to accomplish critical fireground tasks, or ignoring obvious problems cause your "pumping"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service