Recently, I have started to research preconnects, and what types are out there in use. Well, to my surprise not much has changed in the many many years that I have been in the service. My department currently uses the basic two types that everyone else uses. This being the minuteman, and the S-load(triple layer). In these changing times, I know there has to be something better, but go figure, not many are up for the challenge or the change. Here is the problem: last house fire, the S-load was laid out in the front yard, we were deep inside the structure needing more hose, come to find out, when someone supplied our truck, the 5" supply-line was laid on top of our pre-connect. I think a preconnect needs to have (3) basic things:
1) speed of deployment in any location 2) minimum of 50' of usable hose at the door of the house, front of car, whatever 3) Easy to repack for our Dummed down fire service. We all know that if there is a way to screw up the load, they will do it, especially when 95% of our job doesn't deal with fire. So, can you help a brother out? ONE other thing, we have bumper crosslays,, yes were here to help the vertically challenged, that fits 150' 1 3/4 side by side.
OK- Just to clarify some things, the Supply line issue, we address that. That was used here more to point out, that with the layout of the S-load, things can happen to it, and that it takes up alot of room in your front operation area... This discussion was persented to challenge you all,, invoke thinking, not point our errors or faults...WE HAVE MORE THEN ENOUGH LAZY BOY QUATERBACKS

Views: 958

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would have to agree that it is primarily a training issue and I think you would find that the majority of the issues you are experiencing could be remedied with a little refreasher. If you have researched some different styles of preconnects, how about trying some of them and see what people like, then maybe change will be more welcome. If nothing else you get people pulling the triple load some more...which is probably the real issue.
Make sure the line is properly flaked out before it is charged. Make sure no larger lines are sitting on top of it. Make sure to leave approximately 50ft of line, more if possible(Especially on larger residences and commercial structures), pointing straight into the point of entry, or perpendicular to the structure. If you have the manpower, leave someone at the point of entry to continue feeding line.

About the only other option, other than what we use in North America, is to go to the reels that they use in Europe, Russia, Asia and Australia.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service