My department has never really pre planned any of our homes or buisness in our area. I need some ideas of what you guys are doing and how you have them distributed in the department. My department borders 2 departments in the same county, one in another state and one in a different county. do you distribute to these departments as well?

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You'll never be able to pre-plan residential homes. The sheer number would make it unbearable. Your dept should be pre-planning all target hazards in your district. If you can't do that on a dept. level, at least do it on a personal level. Whenever you go into a commercial bldg check it out. FDC and hydrant locations can be done with a simple drive by.

Had a Capt. who loved to train at schools, office bldgs, etc. Came in real handy one night when we caught an arson fire at a school. We knew the unique layout of this particular school. The 2nd alarm companies from outside the city didn't. But the IC was easily able to direct those units.
We have a place of worship in our district, and we were repeatedly refused entry into the structure. Reason given was that persons not of that particular faith were forbidden to enter the sacred area. Thus we were denied the opportunity for walk through tours. As far as I know we never pursued a legal course to gain entry, and the interior of the structure was a complete mystery.

Until...

One night the church's fire alarm went off and we arrived to find a light haze in the structure. We made a pretty thorough investigation of the mechanical and electrical systems in each room. Eventually we found a burned out attic fan, but not before I had a chance to pace off a few quick measurements and make a rough sketch of the floor plan.

Now we have a pretty good pre-plan for that building. :o)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service