Pennsylvania Firefighter Suspended Over Locker Decoration

CHESTER, Pa. - A Pennsylvania firefighter has been suspended over a new rule to clear lockers of decorations - including his U.S. flag decal.

Chester Fire Commissioner James Johnson hopes to avoid controversies like a recent one over a racially tinged cartoon. He says the department's 61 firefighters can still decorate the inside of their lockers.

That doesn't please veteran James Krapf. He was suspended without pay Thursday for refusing to remove his flag sticker.

The 31-year-old Krapf says no one on the force should find the American flag offensive.

Flag images appear on their uniforms and trucks and a flag flies on a pole outside the station.

Krapf says he hopes to strike a compromise with the chief before he loses too much pay.
___

Information from: The Philadelphia Inquirer, http://www.philly.com

Related

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Views: 390

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To paraphrase another topic, "Zero tolerance equals zero thought."
John:
It isn't about policy. It's about personal, individual freedom.
Case in point; there were nine firefighters who thought that a cartoon being displayed in pulbic view was racially charged. Without knowing what process was followed, the cartoon was removed after the chief came down with the "nothing on the outside of the locker" policy. Couldn't the whole matter been handled between the offender and the offended? Maybe it was; maybe it wasn't. Could it have been handled through the union? Perhaps.
Firefighter Krapf has stated his reasons for not removing the flag.
This I know; when there are racial issues involved, it makes national headlines. When the American flag is involved in an issue, it received national attention. This story has both components. It will be interesting to watch this continue to unfold.
Yeah; it's insubordination, but it didn't have to be. This is going to look bad on everyone's record.
And if the chief believes that he is so very right on this issue, then why did he refuse to be interviewed by a national cable news network? You know; if it's a policy issue and all.
No; there's more to it, I'm afraid.
TCSS.
Art
Hey Jay, that is the whole nut, shell and all. people belive they can legislate common sense. NEVER HAPPENED AND NEVER WILL. The way i see this is the chief woosed out and tried to get off easy and put no thought into the outcome. if he fights fire this away you will see a lot of foundations, both the first building and the surrounding exposures and possibly the next ones to those.
For the sake of accuracy, the policy came down from Fire Commissioner Johnson.
Krapf was suspended by the chief.
Now; another firefighter has joined the protest.
The union has a rally tomorrow to show support for Krapf.

Art
It isn't about policy. It's about personal, individual freedom.
chief came down with the "nothing on the outside of the locker" policy.

Sorry Art, I don't agree there. This is a policy plain and simple, it doesn't matter how or why it came down, it did and this FF is refusing to follow orders. Are the lockers the property of the FD or the individual? My bet is it is the department's. Is the locker inside the fire department or on personal property? If it is in the dept, then it really isn't about individual freedom. If the chief feels that he doesn't want anything displayed on the outside of lockers, then that is the perogative, an order was put out and one FF is being insubordinate and refusing to follow orders.

I'm not a fan of how things were handled either, but the issue isn't so much the flag sticker, but the fact the FF is being insubordinate. Management still has rights and can come up with an order for any reason. In this case it would have probably been better for the FF to remove the sticker and fight the issue in private. I really don't feel bad for this guy because he believes the orders don't pertain to him. Last I heard the fire service is still quasi-military, it doesn't matter if one agrees with the orders or not, you still follow them.

And if the chief believes that he is so very right on this issue, then why did he refuse to be interviewed by a national cable news network? You know; if it's a policy issue and all

I can't speak for the chief, but there isn't a need to drag this out in the public. It wasn't the department that brought this to national attention, but the suspended FF. I seen a news clip where either the chief or commissioner was interviewed and did make a good case about it. This should be a private matter for this department and doesn't need to be a national media issue as it has become.

Individual freedom doesn't mean you don't have to follow the rules. There are rules and orders to be followed as part of one's employment. I know of departments with no smoking policies on or off duty for FF's. Is that infringing on personal freedom or is it a stipulation for employment? This is not an issue about patriotism, freedoms, or any other "ism"...this is about insubordination plain and simple.
John:
Here is something that I put together after giving it some thought.
Also, Chief BillyG has some thoughts as well.
Here are the links:
http://firefighterclosecalls.com/secret.php

http://www.firefighternation.com/profiles/blogs/patriotism-or-sensa...

As always, I appreciate your thoughtful comments.
TCSS.
Art

Remove the flag on the outside of my locker if you must but I will never give up my Cory Hart & C. Thomas Howell pics. inside!
Is that you man purse you got in you hand, DUST?
Yeah that where I keep my hydrant tools instead of a hydrant kit!
I read Billy's opinion and he does have some good thoughts. I notice how he mentions just what we are talking about here, policy vs patriotism, lockers, private or dept and he is right, the real issue doesn't have to do with that, but the hostile workplace environment which is developing. He does go on to say though that "Of course, flying the flag needs to be done in an environment of clear policies, procedures and fairness-and based upon the above US Flag Code".

In this situation I still don't see this anything really more than an issue of insubordination. The offensive cartoon was removed by another member and that person was disciplined. The policy came out and several other FF's were informed they would be in violation and material was removed. FF Krapf was informed, was warned and still refused to remove the sticker. The policy is made and there is nothing about proper flag etiquette addressing locker displays.

My personal opinion, a flag sticker is not going to make someone more patriotic, nor is a lapel pin, or any personal statement. Patriotism is what is inside of you. What gets me are the people claiming to be all patriotic and yet don't fly the flag outside their own homes. I have co-workers with flag stickers on their helmets, I don't, it doesn't make me any less patriotic.

I don't agree with the policy, I don't agree how things were handled here, and I don't agree with insubordination. If this were me and my dept, I would follow the orders and look for some type of resolution in private. I really don't see this as standing up from patriotism or defending the flag, the flag is still outside of the station, it is on their uniforms, a locker sticker is not going to make anyone more or less patriotic.
Me and my nice politically correct attitude would tell the commissioner to shove that order up his a**. Than, being I am triing to be a nicer guy I would volunteer to help him just in case he really is to dumb to poor water out of a boot with the directions written on the heal.

On the other hand the Constitution of the United States garauntees the freedom of speech including the burning of the flag (or removing in this case) It also gives me the right to wrap it around you after you light it on fire. I am retired Army and was taught by my Dad before the Army to do the right thing (and I try); since I have to go to work I will leave you with this one thought my Dad was always asking me...

DID YOU EVER NOTICE?

COMMON SENSE IS NOT SO COMMON.

Stick to your guns James...If you need help let us know
Constitutional guaranty of Freedom of Speech is paramount. Except when my right to it intersects with someone else's freedoms. In other words, I can't yell fire in a crowded theater (unless of course, there actually is).

I agree with what John Crabbe has said. It isn't and shouldn't be about patriotism. It is and should be about following orders. Whether one likes it, or agrees with it the policy is the policy. You are on FD time and property.

Let's look at it another way, suppose someone decided that their freedom of speech was being violated by being forced to wear the u.s. flag on their uniform shirt sleeve. Or suppose they wanted to wear the flag sewn upside down instead, as a matter of protest. Is their freedom of speech now protected, as some say FF Krapf's should be? In other words, is being forced to NOT display the flag, and being forced TO display the flag, the same issue?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service