we all know that getting to the fire can be just as dangerous as fighting the fire. and as far as i know, there is no real law that a civilain car needs to get out of the way for emergency responce vehicles, so i ask you this, does your town or city do anything about this issue? have a set law? cameras in the firetruck to record on route calls?

EDIT 1/9/09
How do you feel about drivers that dont move to the side? what do you do? do you take action yourself or do you just sit behind them honking your horn?

Views: 428

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Same here in Michigan, you can get a ticket and I've heard of our local Ambulance calling in plates from a car that wont pull over.
Same law here in New York, you must yield the right of way to emergency veichles. The only one that you do not have to is to a BLUE LIGHT.
i live in Ohio, and as far as i know there is no law, and our fd has not even thought about calling in plates, weve been stuck behind idiots for countless precious minutes, we have to write to the senator of ohio for an english project and im thinking about writing to him about that.
other then calling in the plates how is it inforced?
No cameras on our equipment...yet but lots of traffic cameras, and it is true that traffic laws at least here in MD do not require the civilian driver to move. We do however in our county have strict SOP's about stopping or slowing down at intersections.
In Pennsylvania there is a law requiring you to yield to emergency vehicles. Enforcement can be as simple as recording the plate number and a description of the driver and reporting it to the police. A dash cam would definitely help, but I don't feel the cost is justifiable just for the purpose of busting people who don't get out of our way.
The offense is punishable by up to four points on your driving record and a citation which can/will be mailed if you are not caught by the police at the time of the offense.
South Carolina law states two different things...

1) Emergency Vehicles running "red lights and siren" (RLH)are "requesting" the right of way. Regardless of what the other driver does, the emergency vehicle operator is legally responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle. (I know, I know, not all emergency warning lights are red, but the less-safe other acronym for RLH wouldn't work if it were "BLH" or "YLH".)

2) Non-emergency vehicle operators may be cited for failure to yield the right of way to an emergency vehicle that is properly operating its warning devices.

It is better to get to the scene running the speed limit than to get there real fast.

Ben
Here in Wisconsin we have a law that requires motorists to pull over if an emergency vehicle has its lights and siren going. The catch is they don't have to pull over if you just have your lights on.
see, my instructuer told me about the requsting part, and that if you were to get in a accident with another car, its your fault.

and im not talking about them getting out of the way 100 ft away,

where i live they sometimes wait till we are 5 feet behind them before they decide to move
how do they inforce it
im unsure, i havent been able to find anything on it yet, but my instructor told me there isnt
i just checked on ohio's DMV site, it says nothing about it

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/misc/traffic_rules.htm

i also found another site that mentions what you are supposed to do, at the top it says tips but i cant find any actual law on the matter

http://www.safemotorist.com/articles/emergency_vehicles.aspx

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service