OK folks....I just completed a pump-ops class....and got drilled that smooth bores are the way to go....less nozzle reaction for the same or greater amount of water....So, what is everyone using...? and why...? I know we have task force/Fog nozzles but are currently going to smooth bores...thanks...look forward to your responses.....Paul

Views: 1851

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

oops....LOL...I guess I should have put my glasses on......Thanks for the heads-up....LOL
Paul,

Actually, the steam doesn't burn you "through your PPE" other than maybe through your flash hood. It burns you by filling the air spaces between your PPE and your skin with steam. The vapor barrier in the coat, pants, and gloves as well as the helmet and boots are barriers to steam penetration through the gear.

In this case, it doesn't matter how the steam burns you - if you don't create steam, then you won't get steam burns.
Chris,

Also, fog is a terrific way to fight attic fires. The fog will penetrate into all areas of the void space and push the fire out. It will also help smother residual fire.

Keep the firefighters out of the attic, put the fog in, and the fire generally goes out.
Tiffany, I appreciate your enthusiasm but I need to correct a few things. The TFT tip offers a "straight stream" and fog pattern but definately does NOT offer a "smooth bore" pattern. I agree the TFT is a good nozzle if you have an engineer who understands hydraulics and you have a full crew to manueuver the line due to the increased NR.

There are many NEWER wonderful low pressure combination nozzles on the market that now offer ease of movement and the choice of straight / fog patterns with lower tip psi and less NR.

Our guys have found the reduced NP (whether 50 or 75) and dramatic reduced NF, while still flowing 175-180 gpms is a better and easier line to advance.
Always have used fog nozzles. Never had a problem with 'em.
Jim,

It sounds as if your guys experienced exactly what I discussed about attic fires above. Indirect fog attacks do indeed have their place, especially in confined spaces, as you've noted.

There's another dimension to this discussion, too - Class A foam. It can be applied either as CAFS or as concentrate injected at the pump then aerated at the nozzle. Class A foam is a great tool for direct attacks, but it's notoriously difficult to use in attics or other cut-up spaces with difficult access. Water fog works great in places where Class A foam won't reach.
if every one goes to smooth bore then when is the saying LEFT FOR LIFE RIGHT TO FIGHT ever gonna need to be used lol
I agree Ben...But if you get wet you will get cooked or steam prepared...and I have yet to use a fog and not get wet....But I do appreciate you taking the time to post your address of this for me....Thanks Bro......Paul
Anybody look to the fact you can get air from a fog nozzle. (if you get in a bind) where you can't with a smooth bore
Nate...I know this and have practiced it...But....I hope that I am smart enough to never get into that "bind" to have to do it... why would I want to remove my mask and stick my ugly pus in behind the nozzle...? Just as I learned how to bail head first down a ladder if I have to (Firefighter Survival),,,Hope the hell I never have to pull that one off too....I do want to thank all of you that have replied to my post...It has given me many new thoughts and realized that we don't all dance to the same music....Stay safe all....Keep the Faith.......Paul
Carlos.....Did I read that you run at 95 GPM...? Even when we train we cannot run at less that 125GPM....I have seen a few departments that run at 150 GPM as a standard.....which means that at 200 feet of 1 1/2 the pump pressure runs at about 185-190 psi.....Thanks for the input....Paul
Actually, you cannot get air out of a fog nozzle. Centrifugal pumps pump water, not air.

You can create some air movement with a fog nozzle, but you'll be breathing whatever ambient atmosphere is behind the nozzle, not necessarily fresh air.

You can get some air movement from a fog nozzle by partially opening the bail and creating a broken stream. It's not as efficient as a fog stream, but it's better than noting.

Then again, the primary purpose for the hoseline is to extinguish fire, not to be an emergency SCBA replacement.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service