FFN - A Cape Vincent, New York man who lived and breathed emergency services was tragically shot and killed by a man he was trying to help Friday night.

Mark Davis, 25, a two-year member of the Cape Vincent Fire Department, was reportedly gunned down by Christopher Burke. Davis and other crew members were attending to Burke when the victim left the room, returning with a rifle, according to news reports.

The crew tried leaving the situation, but two shots rang out, with at least one striking Davis.

Mark Davis, 25, died after being shot by a victim he was attempting to help.
Photo from TI-Rescue.org -- Browse More
"EMTs at the scene fervently attempted life saving measures, and continued these efforts during the ambulance transport to the Samaritan Medical Center in Watertown, NY where he was pronounced deceased," a New York State Police report said. (WWTI Photo Slideshow - News 10 Video)

"Burke became agitated and retrieved a high powered rifle from the bedroom of the residence, police said. As the EMT’s were retreating from the residence, it is alleged that Burke fired two rounds, one at the victim striking and killing him, they said.," state police said. "The suspect then ran from the residence and was tackled and held down by another EMT who was also at the residence."

Davis was a member or employee of several emergency organizations in the area, WWTI reported in a profile of the victim. He was enrolled in a paramedic program at a local college and worked ful time at an ambulance company in Watertown, New York.

The Thousand Islands Emergency Rescue Service, where Davis was a volunteer since 2007, posted a tribute to him online Saturday.

"He was one of those guys that EMS was what he lived for," Cape Vincent First Assistant Chief William E. Gould II told the Watertown Times,

Burke was arrested and charged with second degree murder, WYSR reports. He was arraigned Saturday morning.

WWTI reported that police were not yet revealing what type of emergency EMS crews were on the scene for.

Cape Vincent is about 90 miles north of Syracuse, near the Canadian border.

Related

Views: 1129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is getting rediculous when we go out to help a total stranger and are getting shot. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and the fire dept. RIP brother
RIP my bother my prayers are with the family.
A Fireman's Prayer

When I am called to duty, God,
wherever flames may rage.
Give me strength to save some life
whatever be it's age.
Help me to embrace a child
before it is too late,
or save an older person
from the horror of that fate.
Enable me to be alert and hear the weakest shout
And quickly and efficiently to
put the fire out.
I want to fill my calling and
to give the best in me.
To guard my every neighbor and
protect his property.
And if according to my fate,
I am to lose my life,
Please bless with your protecting hand
my children and wife.

A. W. 'Smokey' Linn
EMT's PRAYER

Lord,
Grant me the wisdom so that I may treat
those of your children that lay at my feet.
Let my hands be gentle, sure and swift
to impart to them your sacred gift.

Let me see only a patient's need
not their color, race or creed.
Help me to always be my best
even when it's on my hours rest.

Grant me the insight to understand why
patients of mine are going to die.
Let me remember that when they do
there is a wondeful life in Heaven with you.

Lord, if in the time of duty I should fall
help my family to hold their heads tall.
For it was you who decided that I should be
one of your chosen few, and EMT.
My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and co-workers. Your commitment to serving others will always be remembered. This is on the behalf of the brothers and sisters at The Whitesville Volunter Fire Department located in Moncks Corner, S.C. You will be truely miss!Kerry Jurgensmeyer DeVaney
How much cross training is there between Police/EMS/Fire and others?

Anyone use first reponders, and any trained as police, as well as with CLS (combat life saver) or like skills? This includes being armed. After all yes cops can not be there all the time, as well as your sitting in an ambulance with how much in drugs?

What about more HAZWOPPER (Hazardous Waste Operator) or other skills? Such as how to handle a chemical or like spill, or other acts where you need to use the ICS (incident command structure?) or is this the local Chiefs job? Locally it was the Troopers job, not all was trained in it?

Riot control? Suicide prevention? What if it was Katrina level?

Composition of SWAT and like special troops? Medics included or ....

Sorry I come from a military back ground (11B), as well as medical (former EMT/CNA and more). Fires are often seen as tactical, but what about medics?

In these days of the economy seeming to be going back. I have noticed some of it, I drive cab at night, my normal job, and things are getting desperate.

What about crowd control? Setting up a full triage for mass casualties and like? Why we have drills after all, and hope someone learns from it.

How to do extractions and such under near combat conditions or just stressful ones?

Myself done some work in riot control, former HAZWOPPER 40 hour course, and school bus driver/special needs.

I know from combat vets, that they love their medic/paramedic, they defend him, cause he can keep them alive, yes they also have some skills in combat, and the 11Bs and like some skills in medical care - the Combat Life Savers course. Gutter EMT-2/EMT-I but ... heh when you got someone down, and the nearest medic is very busy, you do what you can, take vitals, push saline and like and open an IV and other medical care that has to happen NOW.. Maybe some time to do what happened after Vietnam with paramedics coming about cause of skilled persons who had no official certification but who did sometimes more than trauma docs did?

That we need to work as a unit. Done some minor work talking suidal persons down, and it was stupid to be there alone, but .... Situation said "do it" but do not want to do it again. Nice she was drunk, but it was in the middle of a storm on the end of the seawall, a common place for people to jump. We are not cowboys, we can not do everything alone. I tried and failed, glad no one died. I still wonder. But yes, more work with local police, and how they think. But also more work with FEMA and EPA and like regulations. Why we mass casualty drills yes?

How about more EMTs who are trained as cops? Or least the basics of "combat".. First responders basically? I know some places do it, cause of the threat of drug dealers hijacking a drug laden ambulance? How many EMT/Fire fighters have any police or military training?

Will see. I have as a cab driver, already started to see things change as the economy goes south. The days of lonely old ladies calling an ambulance for company are going away? Or those for a homeless person to be admitted to have a warm place for a night, and food? Now it will be the meth head who needs a fix and thinks nothing of killing you, even if you are trying to save them? My military training has been helpful, especially when I am sent to a place that does not feel right, former pizza deliverer as well.

I know from experience, it was interesting to take out our EPA books and check out the placards around us, and finding we was way to close to the fire. Such as those blasting caps, that near the burning oil connex.

Classes on how to not escolate things? I used to drive school bus/special needs as well.

I know as a former volunteer, there is alot more I could have training in, but how to fit it in with my normal life? Currently an Army Reservist.

My military time has helped so me, riot control can be interesting. Setting up a triage areas and using ICS to set up cold/warm/cold zones, former HAZWOPER (nicely never had to use the skill, yet). (Hazardous waste Operator) (the poor schmuch, who has to decide what is the threat, and how to deal with it. Such as chemical spills.. Got some friends who do anti-terror work.

Mike Adams
Or take an example from myth.

Have the shooter be the worker for the family of the deceased.

Basically under house arrest, and there to do anything the deceaseds family want him to do? If this includes dirty, nasty things, then so be it, he is now their "property".

Mike
Ok being part of the family, I dont understand where you are coming from with that comment Mike. However for everyone talking about Scene Safety; Mark was by far the safest EMT I know. If something felt wrong Mark was out of there. He made sure when knocking on a door he stood to the side in case someone came after him. He knew what he was doing. People keep saying that this could have been preventable. It couldnt. It was a routine medical call. Not psych, not domestic, a ROUTINE MEDICAL call. Something that you go to every day. Also I want to mention the man that took the KILLER down was 73 years old. The driver of the Ambulance.

We appreciate everyone sending out their prayers. We hear them. Keep them coming. BE SAFE OUT THERE, and always Remember MARK DAVIS when responding to a call.

He is sending ALL emergency workers the message of scene safety, be aware of your surroundings. Mark knew that he may die in the line of duty trying to help someone. He knew the sacrifices and he was ready to make them. He MADE that Sacrifice. His Life. Keep Mark, his mom, his dad, sister, and younger brother in your thoughts and prayers. We may have lost a brother but we gained a HERO
Our thoughts goes out to your family and bros
We all know the chances are out there but we refuse to see them happening to us. Try to keep an eye on every angle, and if this goes bad where will I be and where will I go. Keep the path from you to the exit as clear as possible, and be attentive to any and all clues to tragedy.

Thanks for your service Mark. We wish all the best to your family and friends.
Only answer I have to those who want to remove guns.

Pope c.1300 outlawed both caltrops and cross bows. Caltrops basically an early form of land mines.
Crossbows with some minor work, became early guns.

Not the weapon/tool that is the problem, but those who use them. To many resort to them to easily to resolve problems. To often with tragic result..

I know cabbies who are armed, but to use it in a cramped cab against someone behind them? Taser may have better use. But also using ones brain to not get into many situations. Knives are very effective, so is a garrott to take out a driver. Not picking that meth head up could solve alot of possible problems.. As well as dispatcher getting more info, as well as knowing danger locations, past problems/etc. Such as that address is a crack house or past issues with some one there?

Situational awareness/scene security is a major thing, yes LE needs to be first in and last out. Maybe crisis reaction drills? Much like in the military has MOUT training (operations in a urban terrain). Yes, we are their to help, but not to die. I still love telling a local cop for thank me for stopping for a speeding ticket, if I had not been stopped, I would have walked into a fight with baseball bats, knives and someones 9mm, while I tried to break up the fight. To not become a casualty yourself, how can you help others?

Yes, a machine gun bolt going back make a very distinctive sound.

Mike
My thoughts & prayers go out to the family

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service