Can anyone tell me what the small sewn-on black tabs are, that are on the cuffs of the sleeves, and around the bottom of the pants.

Views: 236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you mean the tabs with a snap that are used to attach the inner liner to the shell?
No, the tabs are on the outside of the outer liner, and they are black.
Does it go all the way around the cuffs and the bottom of the pants? If so then you are describing what is called 'Dragonhide'. Here is a makeup of the fabric.

DragonHide™ fabric weighs 9.7 oz/yd2 (330g/m2) and is made from a blend of 34% para-aramid, 63% aramid, and 3% carbon filament, which is back-coated with a specially formulated polyurethane polymer and impregnated for water, oil, and dirt resistance

Similiar to Seude leather this material is easier to decon, doesn't stiffen with age. This material is being used more and more to protect and prevent fraying/tearing of cuffs, elbow and knee areas on turnout gear.
I like the Dragonhide fabric. I got some Globe Extreme gear last year and it has the dragonhide on it. I have to admit, Globe makes some pretty comfortable gear in my opinion.

Reply to Discussion


FireRescue Magazine

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2021   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service