Ok so just looking for some advice on the choice of a pager. The Mintor V pager that I purchased malfunctioned earlier today; not really sure what happened. I set it down in the charger and it made a high pitched beep like it does when you test it on channel C and then it didn’t do anything. After that so I thought I had just hit something so I went on and did things I needed to do, I went back to get the pager a little bit later and it was hot to the touch so I took it off the charger turned it off let it set for a few minutes it cooled then I went to turn it back on and got nothing. So I contacted the guy that ordered it for me he got a hold of Motorola and they said to send it back and they would replace it with a new Mintor V or I could get a Swissphone RE629…

I’ve done a little bit of research on it and from what I understand it’s popular in Europe and some companies use it here in the U.S. use them as well.

So I’m just curious if anyone on here has or had a swissphone re629..If anyone has can you answer these questions for me?

Is it any good?

Do you get good reception? Does it use the same repeaters as the mintor V?

Is it difficult to use?

I guess in other words what are the pro’s and cons of it compared to a mintor V?

It’s cheaper so I could get refunded the difference, I just want to have opinions before I say I want a new mintor V or I’ll take the swisphone.

Views: 704

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Minitor V's are absolutely horrible, I have seen and heard nothing but bad things and recalls about them.  They supposedly are top notch but I have yet to see any proof.  I myself have a Minitor II, and have never had trouble with them, they work, come in clear, and never have issues.  If you ask me they should have stopped at Minitor II's and simply added the playback feature to those instead of making III, IV, and V models.

I have never dealt with any paging system other than Motorola Minitors, so I dont know the info about the swissphones.  Our county has been working on getting the "Texting" feature added to our 911 system, which sends text messages to cell phones with the address of the incident and nature of call, which comes in handy for those of us that have kids that always manage to make the most noise when daddys pager goes off and you miss the key info!!!! LOL

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT trust texting as your primary alerting system.  We have it as a backup and sometimes the text has been as much as 3 hours late.  Poor cell coverage is part of the problem but have also seen phone using the same carrier side by side alert 5 to 10 minutes apart.

Hi Ashley

visit: http://swissphonena.com/

they have a 30 day demo program. its worth a shot.

i am evaluating the suissephone for my vfd and based on what a buddy of mine has told me they are FIREMANPROOF!! which is a bold statement considering the fd'a love affair with motorola. the suissephone has a big following in europe (so i called a guy i know in the uk) and he told me yeah-they are firemanproof. i have not had one yet but everyone who i have talked to that alredy have them say, they are pretty good and have alot of options. check out youtube, its pretty interesting

my volunteer department is evaluating (thats fighting) about sticking with pagers or switching to alphanumeric via wireless phone. (since its my project) i suggested we go with suissephone pagers and keep the alphanumeric and text to wireless phone as a "nice to have". my justification for this is reliability issues within the cell and paging industry. the county tones and voice is owened by them and is a co primary alerting with station printers.my suggestion is to stick with county paging as a primary and keep the alphanumeric as a secondary. since rebanding is comming and we are on vhf for countywide paging and a 800 system for operations, it is my final suggestion that we keep the primary and the secondary (we alredy have a station printer).

the department is concerned about cost (menaing why do we need 2 systems?)

my answer is because two (tone and voice and station printers) are county owned (meaning we have controll over them) and the alphanumeric via text is privately owned and can fail (and we have no priority on their system or direct controll over them). so if AT&T, Verizon, or metro PCS has a failure and we get a call, NOBODY WILL EVER KNOW.

if anyone has any more fuel for me to get this done please post the reply to that others may take advantage of the information-NETWORKING AMOUNG VFD'S IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS!

in case some of you need a plectron for station alerting, i found a guy (wallice radio) who still repairs and sells them at a fair price

thats what its going to be, a back up way to get information missed from toneout.  We still have the paging system too.
One thing to keep in my is that if the county is going to make text alerting via cell phone as the primary way to alert, then the county could be responsible for the cost of every ones cellphone bill seeings as they are requiring it. This is how it was explained to my by the BC of a neighboring dept who had looked into doing something similar.

the county is not requiring it but many of the members like it better than having to carry a pager and a phone. me personally i'd want the pager only because if my cell carrier service stopps or goes down, i and the county wont know about it.

I agree with carrying a pager or radio. We get a text message on our phone as a back up. It's nice because it gives the cross streets or when we have a call at 0 dark 30 and don't always get the address clearly, we can quickly look at our phone and get it from there. Sometimes we get the texts before the page, sometimes after the page and sometimes at the same time as the page.

Minitor v is better my opinion 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service