I belong to a small combination dept in upstate New York. We have one company that is all paid staff. The others are 4 all volunteer companies. We also have an explorer post through the boy scouts. The dilemma is this one of the explorers is at the age when he could join as a volunteers and he keeps trying to be let in to one. The explorer in question has a heart of gold and has always wanted to be a firefighter. Now for the problem this explorer is mentally challenged. He got through high school with a special ED diploma. In the few years as an explorer he has made little progress and is not capable of formal state fire training. He has had several emotional outbursts after calls that he was not even involved in bad car wrecks fatal fires Etc. He has tried joining the 3 other companies who string him along. And now it’s our turn. It’s my opinion that he would be too much of a liability he requires constant supervision and direction. As my company is looking into accepting him with special circumstances I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this or advise I could use. He is a good kid a 10yo in a 20yo body. I don’t want to discriminate against him based on his lack of mental capacity. I just don’t want him or someone else getting injured due to it. Our dept regs have nothing to say yes or no. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I Fear that what we do for one would likely open the flood gates.
Thank you in advance for your input.

Views: 601

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting Luke. My thoughts were simply that - thoughts. You're mate's experience shows how things can be in 'real life'. I still think the medical opinion is the road to follow, but at the end of it, if the person can't get through the training, then that's it. But there would have to be be more than usual need for the assessment process to be open, to be seen to be fair. I can see all sorts of difficulties being raised by the know-nothings who think that the individual is more important than the whole in a case like this. You know the ones I mean, the clowns who think that every person has the right to do something... Where the hell these so-called rights come from I have no idea!
As bad as it sounds and even though heart means alot in this business, there is a certain level of education that you have to have for this job. Even you found something else for him todo around the station with the company what are the chances that when in a moment of distraction at the station that a piece of equipment would be mishandled and no one even knowing it. My heart goes out to you and him but sometimes you have to make harsh choices for the good of all.
Too many responders have missed one of the OP's, Daryl's, points. This person knows the difference between being a firefighter and being an auxiliary. He refuses the auxiliary role. This person, when on the fireground, has been seen to become fixated on the fire. I don't think he belongs in the FD.

Assign people to be 'nursemaids'? How many members would want to take on that role - not me for a start, and are there always the numbers available anyway? Have a member of his family (or a carer) along all the time to watch over him? On our firegrounds that carer would also have to be a qualified firefighter, in which case we'd have far more important things for him/her to do! Somebody mentioned allowing him to go on BS calls. Can any call be guaranteed to be 'BS'?

One thing I'll really thank you for Daryl is for making me aware of this as a potential issue for my Brigade.
WOW this one is a little hard to answer. I would you know sit down with the chief and talk to him and see what he says about the situation. I realize that you guys are in that spot where you don't know what to do I would say allow him to stay around and help. I mean with the understanding that he can not go to scenes where people are hurt if it causes him to have emotional stress. But that is just me I mean its always nice having someone around to teach. Teach the guy a few things, He needs to learn about being a firefighter.
well thats a thin red line bro ...tread carefully whatever your company does ...I would start with the parents or guardian and see what their view and thoughts are see where they are coming from..second get review on him in writing ..cya....also if i am not mistaken your company has the right to have him see a Dr. of your choosing and give their diagnosis on which is a major tool in deciding to take him and to what capacity... I think you guys might be doing your company and him a better service by appointing him to a ....associate member status this way he feels a part of something without being in jeapordy
This person knows the difference between being a firefighter and being an auxiliary. He refuses the auxiliary role. This person, when on the fireground, has been seen to become fixated on the fire.
No; don't even let it get started.
You are not a social organization. You are not equipped to deal with "special" people. You are not an institution of higher learning.
You are a fire department.
Keep it that way.
It will keep you out of court for violating someone's right down the road.
From a legal standpoint, it would better to "find" a reason not to put them on the department than to remove them if you put them on.
Don't go there.
Art
Can you take him on and let him do some prep work but not respond to calls? It would be a way to get him in the dept. and let him achieve his dream but also protect your department for liability issues. Something to think about. No, you dont' want to discriminate but I'm sure your department can come up with something that would help him to achieve his dream as being a firefighter.
We in the upper NY also have sort of the same situation.. we have let him join with the exception he does only what is told... even with the challenges that he has .. He knows that he has to meet certain expectations... When going to a call he helps roll hoses, get equipment, has helps hold charged lines on structures once the structure has been deemed a clean up... He has taken scene support and has passed.. No bad calls as in accidents.. On scene usually hangs with the chief for his instructions... One non listening event no calls for 3 calls and so ... Has yet had a problem.... A great help and works hard on scene.. Could there be a problem maybe ..deal with it when it comes......
Well said Charles
He could help as an administrative member, running fund raisers, fire prevention programs, train him in Fire Investigation and make him the dept Investigator or "Fire Marshal" to make him happy. Or, there is the other part that I think no one mentioned yet, if you did Im sorry, I didnt read all the posts, but he can be Fire Police, direct traffic and what not, keep pedestrians out of the scene.
Just some more ideas.
It was stated that HE FIXATES ON FIRE.
If that is a trait that you market to, then giddy up go.
Knowing that, I wouldn't risk it for ANY reason.
Art
I should have elaborated even more in my post. I was referring to mentally handicapped people in general, that may want to join your fire house. We have one man thats in the Ladies Auxiliary due to mental and physical handicaps, so he joined with his wife and does wonderful work for the department. Anyone that is captivated by fire and needs to "Be around it but not help" should throw up flares to any back ground arson check that should be completed by the department prior to the vote for membership.

Sorry, should have elaborated that I was not referring to our gentleman in question.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service