I seen this on another post but i thought id ask the question here
What makes a good medic ?
here is what i belive makes a good medic

What Makes a Good Medic

1. A good/great medic must have compassion for his or her patients and the familys of those patients
2. Must be unshakeable when on a call they keep there cool in those bad times when patients crash
3. Keep up on there skills and learn and keep on learning
4. Know they are not GOD
5. Willing to teach others
6. Explain there actions while on a call when conciveable
7. Treat there patients as they would like to be treated
8. They know others see them as hero's but see it as doing there job its what we do

These are some of the things that I can think of off the top of my head. I know a great medic in my area and I would like to take this oppurtonity to thank all in the Fire EMS Police and Military feilds. Without what we do I belive our country would not be what it is today.

15:13,14 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

We do this day in and day out not for the glory but for the love of man and our community and country

Views: 276

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL

Before I was a paramedic back in the 70's... I worked at McDonalds flipping burgers. After I had completed school and had a couple of years experience, it occurred to me that working at McDonalds helped me to be a good medic...

Why? It's all about the multi-tasking and timing. Running a code is no different than cooking burgers, it's a lot of timing, preparation and putting out a good product, which in our case is saving a life and getting sick or hurt folks to a higher source of medical care.
There is one big difference, Mike.

Very few people make a career out of flipping burgers or get a certificate from the National Registry when they've been certified in burger-flipping.
Knows when to listen to the BLS guy
Robert,

Is that the same thing as "Paramedics save lives, EMT's save Paramedics"?

Ben
"15:13,14 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (sic)

A spirit of self-sacrifice is admirable under some extreme circumstances, but Everyone Goes Home is much more important.

The first essential of being a good medic is to survive this call so that you can go on the next one.

so true... it was a painful decision to leave, knowing that I would be leaving behind a wonderful career path with Mickey Dee's... what's funny is that I actually got fired from McDonalds because I was busted cooking non-McDonalds food one morning before the restaraunt opened. I'm not the one who brought the food in, which was eggs. In fact, two mexican guys had brought in the eggs and had cut a small can, roughly the diameter of the hamburger patty with both ends cut out. The concept was to cook the egg, hamburger patty and use a hamburger bun. What a great idea, but of course you know who gets busted by not only the owner Herb Peterson but Ray Crock who was the originator of McDonalds way back when. He lived in Santa Barbara.

The reason I got in trouble was because I might have been a little flippant with my answer when the owner asked just what was I doing. I told him, "what does it look like, I'm making breakfast...". This did not go over too well as you can imagine. Health department rules were cited and I managed to be the target that morning. Of course I was only 16 years old and this was 1971...

The funny thing was three months later, another one of the Santa Barbara stores came out with the Egg McMuffin. The owner claimed ownership and credit for inventing the damn thing when in fact it was a couple of really nice guys from Mexico who actually did the inventing. I just got busted for doing it and took the hit...

Years later, I actually talked to the owner who threatened to sue me if I ever told this story... He died about a month ago so I don't feel to compelled to worry about it anymore. One would think I could have gotten royalties, you know the new Egg McMike or something. Life is not fair sometimes.

TCSS, Mike
Mike,

That's the way it goes...you don't get royalties for joining the "disgruntled former employee" ranks.

On the other hand, you learned how to handle disappointment at a young age - perfect training for the later career, right?

Now if McDonald's would just pay me royalties for every time I've eaten there when I was on the road, working units that were too busy for sit-down meals, or on deployments where there was nowhere else to get hot food at 11 PM...

Ben
rfd,

"A good medic buys lunch.
A good medic ask if the patient can walk to the bus.
A good medic will take the heavy end.
A good medic knows when to treat on scene and when its time to grab and go."

I'm curious why you would think a good medic would ask the patient if he can walk to the rig?
My experience has been the exact opposite - patient wellbeing often requires that we ensure that the patient doesn't have added physiological stress. Walking to the bus when sick, injured, or in pain can make the patient less comfortable at best, and directly harm the patient at worst.

The ABC's don't mean "Ambulate Before Carrying".

Ben
i agree with yours..
A good medic, well This may be one sided. A good medic to me is someone who is in control. Im not talking about LT introl but when the medic speaks on an EMS scene people listen. A good medic is never nervous, we all know what happens when the Medic get nervous. A good medic thinks outside the box. A god medic does whats right for the pt and crew. A good medic is only as good as his EMT without a dought. In my case as my EMT's.
I agree Ben but in some cases we dont get that option way to many of our bothers and sisters have lost there lives going to help others its a risk we take everyday we do the job well ok not job love/passion for most of us

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service