NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. - An annual "Merry Christmas" sign on a North Andover fire station has been ordered removed.

Town officials told firefighters last week to take down the homemade sign after they said people complained.

Fire Chief William Martineau said Monday that the sign was made by firefighters about 50 years ago and never had been an issue before.

The order comes a week after selectmen voted to allow a menorah display on the town common for only one day instead of all eight days of Hanukkah. They said a new town common policy only allows displays to stay up for one day, no matter what they are.

Town Manager Mark Rees said the town's public buildings should not be displaying things specific to a particular religion.

___

Information from: Eagle Tribune, http://www.eagletribune.com

Related
Bah! Humbug!: Town outlaws Merry Christmas sign

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Views: 2134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is how we went round about solution to a similar situation. Put the sign in someones truck. Possiably even park it across the street off city property.
A mainger scene was ordered off city property here in our city, it became a fire fighters personall property, each day it was someone elses.

Strange how a religious holiday brings out the best in the administration.
Merry Christmas to all
And may the G.S.M.'s noodley appendage bless you as well...Ra men.
go to another country and stop trying to tell everyone else what is your opinion of what is right.
<18>How about just celebrating FESTIVOUS....<18>
It always amazes me how damn dogmatic people get over something as silly as whether or not you can put up a sign that says merry christmas. A firehouse is municipal property, if the local government says no, then no it is. Why do people have to be such whiners about this stuff.
I gotta agree with this. It's a sign. Who cares?

Has PC gone too far? Probably, but that's the rules. Not much we can about it. Move on. Enjoy the holidays...
Talk about a bunch of BULLSHIT !!!! If it was me, I think I would leave it up and tell them if they want a fire department it stays. We in this country bend over backwards to accomodate the minority to be "politicaly correct" . It needs to stop.
I forgot about festivus...for the rest of us. Classic. And shouldn't offend anyone....ya'd think.
Talk about a bunch of BULLSHIT !!!! If it was me, I think I would leave it up and tell them if they want a fire department it stays

Of course on the flip side they can say the sign's gone or you are.
Geez, I thought it was freedom of religion, not freedom FROM religion.
Isn't there something about free speech? You're offended? Get the hell out of MY COUNTRY!!!
Hope their Christmas tree does not burn down.
The town Officials should be sent to Iran.
It's my country too, and it is/was just as much about freedom from religion, that was a very important concept to the founding fathers.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service