hello, where are the school that offers the opportunity to become certified Instructor IFSAC according to NFPA 1403 (live fire training). I wish  had the coordinates of these.  I currently resides in the quebec, Canada and we are now currently working on the subject and I would like to share with others who oversees such practice.

Views: 3065

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LSU offers a 24-hour 1403 class. It's likely something that you could build yourself as it contains the absolutly most essential elements of the following: fire behavior, PPE/SCBA, firefighter safety, Incident Command, fire extinguishers, ladders, fire streams, fire hose, ventilation, forcible entry, and salvage/property conservation.

Each section is only 2 hours or so long, so when I talk about the basics, I mean THE basics.

Actually, NFPA 1403 specifies that live fire instructors must be qualified by the AHJ - the Authority Having Jurisdiction.  In other words, it doesn't matter what class you've take somewhere else, your department or training agency still has to set the qualification standards for live fire training instructors and ensure that the instructors meet those standards. 

In my agency's case, we require that all of our live fire instructors take our in-house Training Center Operator class.  Prerequisites to taking the class are Fire Instructor I certification, specified levels of experience, and passing the TCO class.  Once the TCO class is complete, the new instructors must serve an apprenticeship on each type of live fire training we do - structural, car fire prop, and FLAG prop.  They must also become familiar with the specifications, pre-burn and post-burn inspection procedures, and basic safety and maintenance procedures for our burn training facility. 

Our TCO class includes our site set-up, chain of command, stoking procedures, backup/RIC procedures, temperature monitoring, communications (ops channel and instructor channel), pre-entry PPE and SCBA checks, tactical guidelines, TIC use, door control, rehab, MAYDAY procedures...etc, etc. 

In order to serve as the Lead Instructor or Safety Officer for live burn training, the candidate must also have an additional live fire instructor credential from our state fire academy or an equivalent as approved by the training chief. 

You do not need to take a 3rd-party class to be NFPA 1403 compliant.  You do  need to have the qualifications specified in the standard and do all of the things called for by the standard. 

Fully agree that a department can certify it's own instructors as they are the AHJ.

However, the 1403 class in LA was developed and designed by LSU Fire Training to ensure that students attending any LSU class involing live burns were trained to a minimum standard. In the past, LSU did accept a letter from the department stating that the member attending the live fire training was trained to, at a minumum 1403 standards. However, a couple of years ago, the legal department for the University stated that this was not acceptable and all members attending live burns had to be trained and certified to 1403, and they stated that had to include, at a minimum LSU testing. The class, in most cases, is actually taught by department personnel who have attended LSU FETI 1403 instructor training and certification, at the departmentr regional level, and then the LSU Fire Training comes in and does the testing (written and practical) at the end of the class. 

So yes, a department can teach and test thier own personnel to 1403 standards, but for the purposes of LSU Fire Training, they are not certfied in the eyes of LSU unless the testing is done by LSU Fire Training personnel.

Bob,

Steve's question was about 1403, not LSU/FETI.

From the 1403 standpoint, LSU/FETI is an AHJ.  The same goes for any other state or local training agency, whether it is MFRI, TEEX, a state fire academy, a county fire academy, a municipal fire training division, or acquired structure training conducted by the Waback VFD - each AHJ determines its own methodology for being 1403 compliant.

1403 does not address agency certification - it addresses PPE and SCBA, prerequisite student training, building prep, fuel loading and types, ignition methods, safety, extinguishment requirements, backup hoselines, water supply, safety officers, and it states that instructors must be qualified to deliver live fire training by the AHJ.  It does not state that students must hold any particular agency certification.

Agreed. I could teach 1403 here at my combo department or at my VFD tommarrow and if they passed our test, as the AHJ, by our standards they would be 1403 certified.

It's much like FFI. My combo department states that for a member to test FFI, they must be cedrtified to the First Responder level, which is well above what NFPA 1001 states as the "first aid" requirements associatted with FFI. We, as a department, have decided that FR is someting we want to require of anyone before they take FFI.

Now Steve does mention wanting to become an Instructor per 1403. To me, that would be the Instructor I and Instructor II certification as there, as I understand it, no "certfication" for a " 1403 live burn instructor"

Thank you all. you said has any one of my questions. On my side we just wrote a manual on the 1403 order applied the standard module 4 according corectement building acquired.
I looked in my direction for accreditation in order to be responsible and OSST instructor as stated in Chapter 4.
I would have liked to see what is being done on the side of the united states.

The NFPA does not offer any certifications.  They are a standards-setting group, not a certification-granting agency.

You are correct that there is no such thing as a NFPA 1403 live burn instructor. 

There are AHJ live burn classes that "are in compliance with" 1403 or that "meet the intent of" 1403, but those certifications are granted by AHJs.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service