i know there has already been a dissussion on this topic but its closed
and i wanted to voice my opinion.
im 17 and i went to my 1st mva about a week ago, ive been to them before but only as road patrol. i had someone tell me that i was too young to be in the scene and i should have come home on the van early instead of staying out there. i know its cause they care, people were worried about me and how i would react it was a really bad accident needing an extrication. i found i was ok. my oic asked me if i was ready before we went up to the car i told him i was, he asked if i was sure and told me if i wasnt lket him no, it may hit me later he told me he would be right beside me the whole time. i personally felt i was ready for it, i got up there and did my job, i wasnt sure whether it would effect me later and if it still will, but i felt fine, the next day i was more bugged bout it because i was confused on how i was ment to be feeling, was i ment to feel fine like nothing had happened, i then realised that thats what was bugging me and after realising that i became fine because i acepted the way i felt. i was there to do a job and i did it. how else am i supose to learn. i had a mva training course last yr i found it was really good because i treated it like a training senario.

but i think if i was any younger they wouldnt have let me. but i think it really depends on the person and whether they can handle it.

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very well said Harold
How else are you supposed to learn. I dont think kids belong on eberything but here in VA if you have FF1 you can do everything except for hazardous materials response.

I started at 15 hung around the firehouse for a year learning how to check trucks equipment etc took ff1 at 16 and have been going ever since. Now Im 27 and a career firefighter with alot of experience under my belt. Did I see some things that some 16 year olds do not see? Of course but it let me know early wether I could handle the job and wether this could be a career or just a hobby.

How are we going to get the next generation trained and on the fireground if we do not let them do anything or see anything.
Hi Harold
sarah and i are on the same truck over the last year we have attended 5 fatal accidents in our area and given the population here that's quite high for me i have personally attended 4 of them and believe me its not a badge i would rather be warming my feet in front of the fire we have had the counseling ect but i think at the end of the day it takes a certain type of person to do this and after the first call you will quickly see who can handle it at the end the day the way i deal with it is i talk it thru with the other ffs of if i feel necessary i will seek professional help
If sarah needs help she knows we are all there for her
thats great i have helped alot of are younger FF's but as you said fatals are not soemthign we liwk to attend. I'm sure as your area and mine small towns 9/10 times you know the person i nthe wreck and that is never easy even when you are that right type of person. glad to hear you are all there for Sarah
i don't have a problem with letting jr's on truck nor going to scene as long as someone with experiance is watching over them. No as for getting ff1 that young i can't say thats good or bad i see both sides of the battle i know here in PA you have to be at least 18 to even finish the 4th mod of our essentials which is the live burn part. Therefore most of are FF1's usaly are around 19 for the youngest not saying there aren't 18 year old FF1 in pa. Bottom line is though if you can handle this line of work (paid or VOL.) great keep on working cause the fire service needs everyone no matter the age as long as they know there limits.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service