Hey, well i have to write a an editorial on an important topic. SInce i am a member of the Bagdad fire protection district junior program i chose the topic of juniors being pulled from school to go on calls. However i cant find really reliable information on the actual dept.'s that pull students from school so i need your help. I need:

statistics for how mant departments pull juniors from class

Regulations for what kind of call and if the time of the day makes a difference as to if they are pulled out of class

age limits on being pulled from class

if a drivers license is required to leave class

if missed work can be made up

excused absence?

if red/blue lights are given for personal vehicle use from school to a fire scene

what types of call they can respond to during school hours

and anything else you think might be relevant to my topic
Thank you so very much, stay safe
Jessica

Views: 1481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

agree...stay in school. it is not the first fire and it is not going to be the last. get your education, an educated firefighter is an treasure to a department. the price of ignorance is too high
Here in Hudson NC we only have members that are out of school and are 18 or older
Jess-

If you find out which schools in this country allow juniors to leave school or to be pulled by an officer for a fire call, I have the number for the Department of Labor and the Department of Education. It is NOT legal.

That is not to say that people do not do this, but what I can say for sure is that it is not legal.
Exactly Chris. As an active firefighter in Bound Brook and resident of Bridgewater Twsp. as well as knowing several of the Chiefs in B'water, I do not think for a second they would overlook anything. Perhaps if you were out of fire school, 18, and playing hookie with only weeks left in school...maybe...but even then...I doubt it.
Where exactly does this tale of questionable claims come from?
Most juniors or explorers around the country do NOT get blue light permits. Where do you see this happening?
Right...no pagers in school. Mine is off, so is theirs. It sucks having a senior ff as a teacher in your building I'll bet! I keep them in line. They are not supposed to have discipline issues either. They should ALL have a code of conduct.
Hitting the hydrant is dangerous, it is essential to ff life safety, and should be done by a proven, trusted and certified firefighter, NOT A JUNIOR. They should watch and learn, maybe help guys change bottles or packs, grab tools, learn the pump panel by watching, clean tools, stow tools, stuff around the apparatus only provided that the truck or engine is not in the hot zone or collapse zone.
I thought you are home schooled.
You are an exception and the rules and laws were not written with you in mind. Period. AND...it is against several laws in the US.
Oh...Canada. Well, I know nothing of the laws there. It probably is legal there with all of the trade industries in rural areas.
Yeah, they do. I can definitely say, without any doubt, that federal child labor laws and OSHA make this a non-conversation. It is illegal. As a certified school administrator, I can assure you of that.

As for Canada and Australia, I do not know.

Yup...with Jack on this too! People ARE EITHER EXTREMELY FOOLISH or someone is lying.

Jack...what I did discover is that some of these people are from Canada and Australia, but there are some from the states making these claims too.

BTW...Jack...when I use all caps it is for emphasis...not to yell. Sorry for the confusion.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service