Well it is T- 6 days until I get my knee replaced with the latest and greatest. I am nervous about it for sure. Yesterday was the pits, my head was for the first time in 27 yrs not in the game at all. Glad it was a quiet shift. The game was at the knee and thinking about how things were going to turn out in the next 6 months.

How many of you FFs out there have had this or other joints replaced and are still on the job. How are you doing, how did it turn out?

Views: 8547

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello to all,
I am a 53 year old volunteer from Virgina who this coming Tuesday morning will have TKR on my left knee. Background is after 30+ years and 7 different surgeries ranging from simple scope clean outs to a ligament reconstruction,my surgeon has finally agreed to replace it. All the standard arguements against it to this point, young age etc. I found this blog and Don's feed back has been a real help. his suggestionI plan on adding my experiences with the surgery and rehab to let other firefighters know what it is like. More next week after the surgery
Scott:
I literally feel your pain.
I had both knees replaced a year apart after 11 previous surgeries to both.
Listen to your doctor, follow an aggressive rehab plan and ASK QUESTIONS.
Your better days are ahead, believe me.
Take care.
I am currently in the U.S. Navy Seabees and I am facing problems with my right knee. Prior to joining the Navy 3 years ago my knee was fine but the amount of physical stress that comes from running in formation for 4-5 miles along with working on construction sites has injured it. I do however have 2 joints replaced and was accepted into the military on a waiver. My left TMJ has been replaced with a prosthetic and I do not have a joint on the right side (complications from the right prostetic) but I also have a metal plate on my mandible after they broke my jaw and reset it to support the right joint. I am the only person in the Navy that is like this. I have not had any problems since I have been active duty and I can wear a mask just fine. I am wondering if my knee has the same degenerative joint disease as my jaw did. Bieng only 31 years old with over 12 surgeries on my face alone makes me wonder what is in store for me in the future, especially bieng a firefighter.
ok, as promised here it is day after TKR on theleft knee. Surgery went well and of course rehab is painfull but going well. Was able to walk with a walker down of long hall and currently am getting about 80 degrees of motion. Doc says Iwill go home tomorrow and the my out patient rehab will start on Friday. Over all pain hasn't been to bad. Once agin thabks for the feedback
FANTASTIC , so glad for you. How does the knee feel, is the pain gone from what was before. Boy are you going to feel so great in 6 months WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Zimm
Thanks, the knee is actuallyfeeling pretty good even now. Walking wiithout the constant pain that Iwas in isgreat!!!. Sure it is very stiff and feeling the joint move is different but I know rehab will take care of that. Should go home this afternoon.

Scott B
made it home and had my first day of out patient rehab. My rehab guy is great the rehab was painful but things went well. Scheduled for 3 days a week for the next few. Start of the long road back.

Thanks again to all who have resonded.
WOWO OH WOW!!! Rehab is tough no other way it can be described. Pain OH the memories of pain come back. Wait, it was a nightmare. Be sure and take the pain killer about 90 minutes before you start the rehab, you'll want it for sure. I didn't twice and paid a price. Not good. I am so glad it has gone so well!!!!!!! Zimm
Well I got the staples out yesterday, that was fun!!!. Getting right at 100 degrees of motion during rehab so I don't guess that is to bad. Still a long ways to go but the knee already feels better than the constant pain prior to the replacement. The doc siad I can drive by the end of this week and will try 1/2 days at work (engineering) next week.

Scott
Hey everyone, Happy Holidays!!! I am so glad so many people have been helped, encouraged, gathered info, and needed a way to talk about this very unique injury and recovery. I know all of you are and have been working very hard to return to the life you had pre TKA. I wish you all the very best!!! Don Zimmerman
Don, Thanks for the help. Hope everyone in this "club" is doing well. I am a little over two months post replacement and doing well. I am within 5 degrees of where the surgeon wants me by early January. Building the muscles back and getting rid of the stiffness is the hardest part. My rehab folks are great but to anyone considering this make sure you talk to them, and do more than just the sessions, even three days a week will not do it. Daily and sometimes 2 or 3 times a day are the only way you will get there. Looking forward to being released to at least pump trucks etc on calls after January. Late Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all.
It has been quite a while since I last posted to my forum discussion about knee replacements. Latest update is the knee has been just wonderful with no issues to speak of. The rest of me is slowly falling apart but the knee is just fine. Last May I had to have the other knee scoped out, and all went well there, then the left hip started to act up (turned out the lower back, hip and knees were just showing me the need to aligned up with each other and wieth me in how I walk. All ok after all that came back to work in mid July.

I hope others will take a look at this discussion to learn what can be accomplished when this sort of surgery is needed. It really does make a difference!!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service