Is a basic NFPA 1002 and a drivers lic. enough training to get "cut loose to drive and engine at your station/Dept?

Is a basic NFPA 1002 course and a drivers lic. enough training to get "cut loose" to drive an engine at your station/Dept?



I felt more hands on was needed, so I created this pump operator training to "give back what I was given".  Check it out at 



Views: 429

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When we are hired, we must have a valid DZ license, which in Ontario is a for a straight truck equipped with air brakes. We go through a driver training portion in recruit class, and must log a minimum of 16 hr behind the wheel driving non-emergency during our probationary period. We received a pump operations course in recruit class as well; if our captain is comfortable with our driving abilities, we are permitted to drive to calls
In my department you must have training on the Vanessa K Free requirements, possess a valid drivers license and then do hands on driver training with either chief, assitant chief, one of the captains or an individual authorized by the chief to do driver training. This continues until the chief and assistant chief feel your are competent enough to be cleared to drive the truck.

I'm still working on getting to that point but hope to be there in another week or two.
In my department, we begin in house training with a certified driver or chief engineer.
We then require the rookie to obtain EVOC certification and Pump I&II certification within one year before he or she can operate the vechile by themselves. These are state certifications through the PA State Fire Academy.
Do any of you have to go through an Aerial operations course?

Reply to Discussion


Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2022   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service