IAFC: President Obama's FY 2011 Budget and The U.S. Fire Service

International Association of Fire Chiefs

This morning, President Obama released his proposed budget for fiscal year 2011. This begins the federal budget process. Congress will now consider this request when writing the federal appropriations bills. These bills should be passed before the beginning of FY 2011, which starts on October 1, 2010.

Here are details about the proposed budget:

FY 2011 (In Millions $)
(Proposed by the President)
U.S. Fire Administration: 45.930
FIRE Grant Program: 305
SAFER Grant Program: 305
Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI): 1,100
State Homeland Security Grant Program (SHSGP): 1,050
Urban Search and Rescue Teams: 28
Interoperable Communications Grants: 0
Emergency Management Performance Grants: 345
FLAME Fund: 387
Presidential Wildland Fire Contingency Reserve: 357
Rural Fire Assistance: 3

The following points should be considered:
  • While the president’s proposal includes a total of $200 million in cuts to the FIRE and SAFER Grant programs, the cut for the FIRE Grant program is not as severe as last year’s proposal. For FY 2010, the president only proposed $170 million for FIRE Grants, which would have been a 70% cut to the program.
  • The $1.1 billion in UASI funds includes $200 million for use in the provision of additional security involved in hosting terror-related trials.
  • There is no specific appropriation for the Citizen Corps Grant Program, the Interoperable Communications Grant Program and the Metropolitan Medical Response System. These programs would be considered allowable expenses under the SHSGP program.
  • The FLAME Reserve Fund, which the IAFC supports, is proposed to be funded with $96 million at the U.S. Department of Interior and $291 million at the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
  • The Presidential Wildland Fire Contingency Reserve is a reserve fund to be available after the fully funded, inflation-adjusted 10-year average of suppression costs is exhausted. It includes $75 million from the U.S. Department of Interior and $282 million from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
  • The Department of Interior’s Wildland Fire Management account includes $6.137 million for the renovation or construction of fire facilities, including crew quarters, warehouses, fire caches, dispatch centers, fire stations, engine storage and aviation bases.
  • The IAFC is working to determine the funding levels for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Volunteer Fire Assistance program and the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Office of Emergency Medical Services, which is located at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Views: 247

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does anyone else think that this is going to be a really bad deal?
why?
he the donkey's ass is trying anything he can to have complete gov dominance. Speaking of the gov meddling things up. last I heard was that up in wasington state if your a fire boss or in a leadership capacity in wildland firefighting and can't speak spanish your out of a job. Not sure how true this is, but with the gov. it would't surprise me. Any one know about this?
The way things are going? I hope for all our sake it doesn't happen. But regardles they will find away to do it even with or with our concent.
Reminds me of the saying we had in the Navy: "We've done so much with so little for so long, we can now do anything with nothing." Guess every agency that receives money from the government will have to tighten up.
Sparky, hope exactly WHAT doesn't happen? That Congress passes the budget? Or that there will be some cuts in it that affect everyone?

Oh and keep spreading those unfounded rumors, it's what everyone needs to hear. I wouldn't bother with any facts, they just tend to get in the way.

As for the "donkey's ass is trying anything he can to have complete gov dominance" I'm willing to bet he at least can read, write and speak proper english. Maybe that's his plan for world domination, literacy.
easy jack easy lol

What I was meaning is the citys are already cutting budgets. If the government cuts aswell there are going to be more cuts than many can handle.
thought the last part was that we can do the impossible. But all means the same LOL.
Sorry Jack about what I said. But beings I was a federal firefighter and did wildland firefighting tender operator and bamby bucket coornator in a Chopper, allot comes and goes, think maybe some one was trying to rattle our cage. We Fed. FF as well as city and county have been going thru allot of man power changes. instead of four man Eng. company some are down to a three man. But yet on a T.A. or structural fire dang never seen so many apparatus in one place. Hum how much is fuel what a congestion at a T.A. to have enough man power for a mas incident.
Not here in Washington as far as I am aware. I did read that somewhere but I thought it was Arizona. We have worked with Mexican hand crews wasn't to bad of duty they would come and get the hose when they needed it and bring it back when done and their crew boss did all of the talking.
I think everyone ought to remember that the money that is given to the departments is borrowed from china and we could all lose all our funding if the spending doesn't slow down or we find other avenues to get the money we need instead of relying on the goverment to fund us.
Oh! Jack I also forgot to mention. That Ft. Carson Fire Dept was going thru a possible contracting out. Lots of squabling going on with the gov. with the who what how when and where and our bargining Union. What kept them from it was the High security clearance they would all have to have, they backed out fast. Use to be if you have a gov job you were safe. Now days not so any more. you will just get riffted or shuffled off to some place alse so on so forth. Only contract that got in was a the main gate and post police that took the M.P.s job some M.P.s are there for certain security areas of High Military ops. stuff.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service