The first call I answered in NY was a false alarm. My first call here in SC, I will never forget.
It was a structure fire where we lost a mother, and three children. It was a very difficult time
for the entire fire department. This is not the way anyone should have to answer their first alarm, but it happens. I can only prey that I don't have to come accross another alarm such as that.

Views: 1241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My first call actually started as an ambulance call to check someone at the scene of an MVA. I figured "bah, someone bumped their head or hurt their feelings" so I stayed home to listen on the Plectron. The first officer on scene sounded a bit excited so I went to see what was going on.

When I got on scene, I saw that a car had hit a 150 year old maple tree broadside and was torn completely in half. Gasoline was everywhere. The two occupants of the car were still seated in the front and screaming. The pumper had a 1 1/2" line off and the PO was hooking to a hydrant. There was debris everywhere and quite a crowd of onlookers.

I learned many lessons that night.
My first call was on a cold, snowy January night. It was in the middle of no where on top of a steep hill with a one lane "road" going to it. Since I had a four wheel drive I got to go up. The flu was on fire and the women just kept cooking and talking. She wouldn't even take the kids out of the house. She was one brick shy of a load. Thankfully it was not a bad fire and we were able to extinguish it without a problem.
My first call was an Air Force T-38 trainer crash landed. The plane bellied in and skidded about 1/2 way down the runway. Prety neat, and no one got hurt. later that month we responded on a apartment fire that involved 2 apartments and we also got to search 2 more apartments for smoke victims. Was pretty exciting.
my first fire as an explorer that I remember was a grass fire out close 2 the edge of our district smoke everywhere but no flames. rode in our rescue from station 2 (my assigned station at the time. My first call as a volunteer firefighter in training was a real nasty brush fire on the freeway about less than 2 miles from where i was eating lunch, not fun when ur by urself with a captain and his son the onlyones available.
Yep i remember mine actually first 2 and they were like same day or night . first was a wreck at NC HWY 53 and Haws Run road confirmed entrapment. boy i was excited and nevous at same time no one seriously hurt but wow. second was a Structure Fire under a Modular home was at station for a meeting when the tones dropped cleared out the house and then i went pov after the chief finally decided to go and said me and the other 2 probies could go to see what it was about after that i had to be on every call that went out till i got more experienced and figured out that theres nothing to be jumpy about it aint going no where its gonna be there when you get there lol.... now its all just second nature but i wont lie my adrinaline stilll gets pumpin when the tomes drop...
My first call was a rollover accident. Of course being the "new guy" i got in the last unit going out and by the time our first unit showed up to size up the scene. He reported that the driver was putting makeup on her lips and had just drove into the ditch. That was a memorable call for me.
My first call was a propane truck that rolled over. Thankfully no one was hurt and the only victims were a "sharp curve" sign and a few scraggly longleaf pines..
1st call was as a Volunteer. Was so excited, I left black marks out of my garage and down the driveway. Did not pick up the Tanker although I was the second one at the station, because I did not have any training on it yet. Captain chewed me out because as he said, someone knew how to operate it. Never failed to drive one of the trucks after that. Turned out to be a burning bush.
As a cadet rolled out on a MVA head on w/ trap. At my first dept. as a member rolled out on a request for lighting at a fatal MVA. Been many more since then.
i wish i had something more exciting but mine was a false alarm too, we got cancelled by the first engine before we arrived. When i got back to the station I turned into an 8 yr. old and said "That was cool. I got to ride on the truck!" or something like that...
My first call was May 19, 1986, only 3 days in the department and we had a 18 wheeler Mobil Gasoline tanker roll over and burn on the other side of town at about 7pm in the evening. I was introduced to a 2 1/2 for the very first time and sat there on it for the next 3 hours.
My first call was a traffic accident at about 230am. I had a plektron if anyone remembers that thing. Woke up the whole house and then it turned out to be a drunk driver had parked their car over that block in the parking lot of the housing complex. LOL

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service