The first call I answered in NY was a false alarm. My first call here in SC, I will never forget.
It was a structure fire where we lost a mother, and three children. It was a very difficult time
for the entire fire department. This is not the way anyone should have to answer their first alarm, but it happens. I can only prey that I don't have to come accross another alarm such as that.

Views: 1241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Todd, Thanks for responding to the discussion. I see that you started at a
young age. I guess you have seen much in the past 17 years. Thanks again,
and be safe out there Brother.
July 1990......Grass fire........first call as paid FF....injuries sustained from falling off horse.
Hey Chris, Thanks for responding to the discussion. Don't feel bad about putting
your clothes on backwards, i'm sure most of us have done that at one time or another.
I know I have, thanks again, and be safe out there brother.
Hey Harold, Thanks for responding to the discussion. That's a first. I can't say I have ever
heard of fighting a fire quit like that before. Great story, Thanks for sharing that with us.
Be well, and stay safe out there Brother.

Hey John, Thanks for responding to the discussion, I do hope the horse was ok. LOL You should of had your seat belt on, LMAO If you need some riding lessions, let me know
Be well, and stay safe out there Brother.
I remember my first call, man how could i forget. It was terrible, It was a head-on vehicle collision on a very narrow road by my home. Redbluff road, it was a red dodge ram, some chrysler passenger car. I drove my POV, first on scene. I remember a 2yr old child was not wearing a safety restraint, She was dead and nothing i could do, the mother was screaming at me telling me to do something. I was depressed for abt two weeks, i dind;t take another call for awhile. It was hard.
Hey Chris, Thanks once again for responding to one of my discussions.
That had to have been a difficult time for you. Many of us that respond to MVA's
have to deal with situations such as this, and we never forget it. Time heals that type
of situation, and talking it out among members of your department, and knowing you
did everything possable helps lift the pain as well. There are times where it is just out
of our hands, and left up to the good lord above. Thanks again, be well, and stay safe
out there Brother.
I remember there were a lot of pitbulls in the yard..and i waved in the ambulance....my first fire call...ummm i actuly dont remember ive had so many since then lol
I under stand that one brother...I responded on a 3 car mva last year..one dead...it turned out to be a very close cus of mine...it was very hard...
Hey FireResonder713, Thanks for responding to the discussion. I am sorry to hear
that your next to kin was the one who died in that MVA. It's always hard to deal with
the loss of life, but that had to be the hardest time for you. I am sorry, I do hope you never
have to deal with that type of pain again. Be well, and stay safe Brother.
Again, I would like to thank all that commented, and added to the
discussion. If anyone else has anything to add, we would love to hear
about it. Be well, and stay safe out there.
ok, my first ever call or my first real call??
Important information: LAFD doesn't do the usual dispatch:
*Engine = Engine (E58)
*Task-Force = Engine, Truck and Pump (E58, T58, E258=TF58)
*Light-Force = Truck and Pump (T58, E258 = LF58)
*Rescue = Ambulance (ALS= RA__ i.e: RA68,
BLS = RA8__ i.e.:RA868
*BC = Battlion Chief (one per battlion i.e. BC18)
*EM/EMS = EMS Captian (one per battlion ie. EM18)

My first ever call was about 5 years ago!! I wasn't even an Explorer yet. Ok, so a little backround first. I have been visiting my local firestation for about 6 years now, so all the firefighters and Capt's and Rated members etc. know me pretty well. So i am at the Firestation (#58) one usual saturday morning and the Light-Force gets a call to a lockout, baby trapped in a car. As the Lightforce is about to pull out i look at capt and say, "see you when you come back" he looks at me, then the A/O and says, "marc, get in, dont get out, and dont tell the cheif." The next thing i know is i am flying down the street in the truck with the pump right behind us! Lights and sirens! It was so cool. Here i am 11 y/o wearing my LAFD shirt, camo pants and black nike's riding in a big huge red fire TRUCK to a call! i thought i was the coolest 11 year old in the world!! So, anyways, we get onscene and find the car. the Tillerman trys to pop the lock with the lockout kit, but it doesn't work, so our A/O grabs the haligan and breaks the window, unlocks the car and gets the baby out. The baby was taken to a local hospital and was perfectly fine. It was probably the one memory that will stick with me for the rest of my life!!

Ok, so my first real call. It was my first day riding along as an Explorer. I was at fire station 68, just down the street from FS58 (they are in the same battlion). 68's is a pretty busy station, averaging 17 calls a day. Anyways, I have been at the station now for 8 hours and not 1 single call!!! i am starting to get bored. So, i help the engineer wash down the engine and BLS rescue ambulance (868). As we are washing them down the alarm goes off.........
Structure!!!
i still remember the first dispatch: Engine68, Rescue68, Rescue868, Task-Force58, Rescue58, Engine61, Light-Force94, EMS18(ems captain), and BC18(battlion).
We (e68 ra68 ra868 em18 are all at the same station) were first on scene and we had a 2 story single family dwealing w/ light smoke showing. So i helped the hydrant memeber hook up to the hydrant and then the nozzel member pull hose. We found a kitchen and washroom fully involved. Our Captain radiod in the more indepth size up and just as he did that TF58 pulled up and then LF94 pulled up on scene about a minute later. The 2 trucks (T58 & T94) threw there ladders to the roof and started cutting, E58 brought in a 2nd attack line and helped us hit the fire. About 2 minutes later battalion18 and E61 arrived on scene, E61 helped with outside fire attack. After about half an hour we had the fire completely out. my Captian, Capt Ashan, from E68 handed me the 1&3/4" nozzel got behind me and let me spray somewater during overhaul. It was so fun. Got my cherry popped on the first day!!!!
whooohooo!!!

Now 6 and 5 years later i have seen the best of the best, and the worst of the worst.

Explorer Captian Marc Hurwitz
Los Angeles CITY Fire Department

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service