Does anyone know a grant I could apply for so that I can take an EMT-B class. I

Views: 342

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My chief doesnt do a very good job of separating the two either. But I Fire and Rescue are completely seperate. I juggle both very well. as well as pleasing everyone so that no one gets irrate with my decisions.

makes sense. so what is your role on the rescue squad?

what is your job on Danville Rescue?

I am an observer and I my next step is EMT-B. I have actually been on for 5 months, though I know that still isn't much. For a class in school i go to rescue for 2 hours a day and they teach me tons of stuff. and I feel this gives me a leg up on a lot of people.

Have you graduated from high school?

Are you trying to get hired as a full-time paid crew member on Danville Rescue?

Because if you already work for them, they should (probably will) pay for your additional classes, and necessary trainings, etc. every year?

I am a senior in high school. no plans of going to college. I want to try to get a paid postion but I have to be EMT-B to work there. They will pay in some way I guess but I'd still like to find something to make it cheaper

you can help set the tone

but you did not say WHY - your chief - did not feel it was a good time to expand your medical credentials?

and

WHY - your father - did not feel it was a good time to expand your medical credentials?

The chief thinks that our volunteer department doesn't need to know that, because we have a separate rescue. My father just doesnt want me to do it as a career.

it doesn't sound like your next step is getting an EMT-B... it actually sounds like your next step is actually DOING PATIENT CARE...

if you enroll in college - you can study emergency management, fire science, endless medical type classes, math, science, technology, etc. etc. etc...   ALL things that will make you more valuable in your long-term goals... AND you can get financial aid - like you were advised on the first page of this conversation - you can get Pell grants, etc. and get LOTS of COLLEGE paid for - making you super valuable.

I know that University of Vermont has a rescue squad where the students attend their classes and serve on the rescue simultaneously - and they are able to take their real life calls and stories into the classroom with them to discuss with their EMT teachers, etc.

At this stage of your life, you should not have to dole out money for these classes you should be getting the department you serve on to cover it - because they value your service - and the more you are trained the more valuable you are to them.

I suggest you live near a college and serve on a college FD/rescue to integrate your education and skills.

Very few people serve only on an ambulance squad their entire life - most people NEED additional skills in life and additional education in other skills - so you also need to consider what other things in the world you want to learn and build yourself in many areas - not just EMS. Some would say that that makes you very narrow in your value.

I cant afford college, that is one of the reasons I have taken this step in life. I would, in the long run, become a career firefighter. But I would like to get ff2 and EMT-I before that happends a couple years down the road

After you actually do patient care for a few years - you may feel dramatically different about furthering your education in this area.

KNOWLEDGE is POWER... you really need to re-consider college... The more educated you are - generally the more financially stable you are - the more career opportunities to have - the more seriously people take you in society - and the higher your income over the life span of your career.

If you want to be a crew chief - then you will need leadership classes. If you want to help the progression of your region, then perhaps you want to consider moving straight into a paramedic program... do you see how there are other things to consider.

The EMT-B class comes around every few months - waiting until the next cycle will not make that much difference - except you may have a lot more of your questions answered by then... and you will be graduated from high school - since that needs to be your PRIMARY responsibility right now.

https://www.med.uvm.edu/IREMS/HP-DEPT.ASP?SiteAreaID=772

University of Vermont EMT-B schedule - entire year

http://education-portal.com/emt_classes_in_vermont.html

other schools - other classes

maybe consider Nursing classes too

Nurse Practitioner classes are an excellent track

degrees/classes in Emergency Management, Disaster Preparedness, etc. etc. etc.

do some research...

and consider how do you want your career to progress - what type of leadership role do you want to have in 5 years or 10 years and how can you achieve that by building your academic skills... even an AA degree looks great on a resume

Thanks, I mean I am trying everything I can think of but its just not as easy as you think. Do you know its about 30,000 a year for college? I can't afford that and I know ppl that went for fire and ems and still dont have a job and cant pay off loans. Its lose lose.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service