Friend Burned Library In Past; Will It Prevent Him From Becoming a Firefighter?

I have a buddy I went to school with who is a couple years younger than me.  He recently sent me a message saying that he wants to become a firefighter, so I gave him tips and things about school.  He is a great guy and would make an excellent firefighter BUT when he was 16 he and few buddies put a firecracker in the book return at the local library just as a prank, and ended up burning the whole place down.  Seeing as how he was a minor when it happened, and it was just a prank, what are his chances of getting in the fire service?  

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

with his "experience" in the library fire....? I believe it is our job to prevent and extinguish fires...not cause them....
Trust is key in the brotherhood , you have to know who's got your back and any shortcomings by firefighters' can and will be attributed to the officers of the department right up to and including the chief. With all this against your fiend I think most departments would be reluctant to take the chance.
Seams like he made a major mistake, if he trully knows how stupid his prank was maybe its time to see how he does, but 18 is still young, most 18 year old last about 1 year and leave.

Be Safe
I agree...we all made foolish mistakes when we were younger, why...because we were kids. As long as he has had a clean slate since, let him become a firefighter !!!! I know Im not perfect, and have made mistakes or bad choices.
Over here before going for a position in the CFA you need to go through a police check that brings up all convictions then its up to the brigade to decide it they let you in there are some things that will stop you getting in but im not sure what they are. i spose it depends on the nature of the crime. We have a 6 months probation period but id say you could make it longer if you wanted. Through out the length of the probation its up to the highest ranked FF to decide if he will go on the jobs or not. Its a good way of gauging if they are the right person for the FD. You then decide at the end of Probation if you want them in the FD. Its also not just the Captain/cheifs descion its voted on by the whole brigade. Im not sure if its the same over there but it could be a way for this guy to have a go.
This is true. People have been fired at work for not letting the right people know of your situation. Being upfront and honest about it, even if it embarrasses you personally, is worth the hassle later on.
and if you know about it and don't come clean with it, then you are considered as wrong as he is.....so sometimes knowing someone elses story can be a liability (Now theres a word we have heard before)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service