What type of specialized trainig is required to become a firefighter/pilot for any of the emergency services?

Views: 214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To learn how to fly..................LOL :) Just kidding, I'm interested to find out what it takes.
I agree. Obviously a pilots liscense but then what. I now it takes skill to fly those airplanes/Helicopters like they do over some of the fires you see. I bet they get paid well too!
Would be intresting to know.
If you are already a FAA rated pilot then I would say you need experience before being hired by an emergency agency. Whether it be rotary wing for EMS transport/firefighting or fixed wing tanker/spotter you need extra training and ratings in the particular type of aircraft, especially helicopters and large fixed wing.

Not to discourage you but it takes lots of money to get rated. Plus with the military doing a lot of flying during current wartime, the competition against veteran pilots entering this field would be fierce.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. TCSS
Most likely 2 tours in Nam or the Iraq as a pilot in the Army. >oP
Im not looking at flying myself but I was very interested in the training etc.

Reply to Discussion


FireRescue Magazine

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2021   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service