Firefighter Nation Member Justin Dunn of Bland, Virginia Dies in Car Accident It is

Firefighter Nation member Justin Dunn, a volunteer firefighter from Bland County, Virgina, was killed in a single vehicle accident early Sunday morning.

Dunn's Chevy Silverado truck left the road and struck two trees, state police said. He was pronounced dead on the scene. Reports indicate it was an off-duty death.

Justin Dunn, pictured right, in his profile photo on Firefighter Nation.
Dunn, whose father was Chief of the Bland County Volunteer Fire Department, had been a firefighter for five years. According to his profile on Firefighter Nation, he was also a member of the Bland County Rescue Squad for the last three years.

Virginia State Police said the accident occurred in the rural Southwestern Virginia community at about 2:15 a.m. Dunn, 21, was the lone occupant of the vehicle, which crashed on Route 615 eastbound near Route 646 in Bland.

"[I] joined the fire department at the age of 16. My dad was chief of the fire department for many years prior to me joining," Dunn wrote in his FirefighterNation.com profile, where other members are now beginning to post condolence messages.

Dunn listed his day job as a Sheet Metal Fabricator.

"Justin Dunn was a great firefighter and rescue squad worker," a local firefighter and FFN member wrote relaying news of the accident. "He was always ready to respond at a moments notice. Please pray for his family and our fire departments."

FirefighterNation.com will post more details as they become available.

Related

Views: 1042

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a sad situation. My condolences go out to his families.
My thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends. RIP brother.
John 15:13 (NIV)
Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

We have all heard about how first responders (police, fire, and EMS personnel) form a family like bond with one another. I for one have been fortunate enough to see this bond from the perspective of all three first responder “branches”.

This morning, like many others, I awoke to the tragic news of the loss of a brother, Justin Paul Dunn, A.K.A. “Judd”. I spent the day in numbness, shock, and reflection. The memories I have with Justin are countless and I am glad I have those. From the seemingly never ending cross-country 4-H trip to Kansas and back; Haz-Mat spills and car fires on the interstate; structure fires to gunshot wounds; good days and bad; rain, snow, sunshine and wind; Justin was there.

Sometimes we take friends and family for granted, not knowing that the next breath we take could be our last. Justin was the type of person you came to rely on and knew would always be there to have your back on a fire or rescue call, or you could talk to on a bad day. All too often when we take people such as Justin for granted, we don’t realize what a great thing we had until it’s gone.

Since I have started working in Radford and living in Blacksburg, I don’t get to come back home to Bland and run Fire and Rescue hardly at all, and nowhere nearly as much as I would like to. I’ll be the first to admit, that I have lost touch with a lot of people from Bland, but I’m thankful that Justin wouldn’t let himself be one of them. When I would come back to run rescue on a weekend off, I knew I could count on Justin to come drive the ambulance for me, or spend time helping me stay awake at the squad building. No more than a couple days would ever go by that Justin would not call or send a text message to see how I was and how things were going, to keep each other awake when we were working nights, or to forward me a funny joke. God I’m going to miss those, especially the ones where we would refer to each other in text messages by our respective radio numbers (570 - me, and Bland 10 - Justin) just because we hadn’t talked on the radio to one another in a while.

When I became a police officer and started working the streets, Justin and I would always talk about how he needed to come to Radford and do a ride along on patrol with me. Unfortunately, he never made it down to do that, but I’m sure that would have been another great memory to have, especially now.

Rather you loved him or hated him; there is no denying what a great brave man Justin was. He was always there to answer the pager tones and take a call to help anyone in their time of need, and for that he is a hero. Justin, I am honored to have been your brother in the rescue squad and fire department, but more so to have had you as a friend. You will not be forgotten. Rest in peace brother.

Jeff, Kathryn, Kristin, Jerry, Jonette, Jenna, Jonathan, and the rest of the Dunn family; you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Hey this is Steve Cooper, From Deerldoge TN at Chestnut Ridge, I just want to say to Justins family our thoughts and prayers are with you all from TN. Never had an LODD but I do know what its like to lose somone you love, but hes not all the way gone, hes in your hearts never fogotten and in your minds as well. So he is still there but hes inside of you all. I dont know much about this guy except for what I have seen on the web but anyone who dies in the line of duty thats a firefighter ems or responder still a brother to me as well. Heres a little poem cite for the family of Justin Dunn and his Friends,

Alive today, Gone in a twinking of an eye, a loved friend and brother but still cant understand why
many things weve wanted so much to say the things weve wanted to do, Justin your families brothers and sisters will miss you. You have meant so much sincere compassion and love in everything you do the brother of a true warrior that stood for the red white and blue. Let us all bow are heads in a moment silent of prayer and let Justins moderation be known everywere,

Heavenly Father we bow our heads in sorrow of the brother loved one friend we lost this very day, God we ask that you send comfort along the way, send your compasssion ever love so true to all of justins friends family and peers too. Be with the family and all the VFDS of this young man that passed away, God we ask that you be there to guide each and everyday, Lord help us to get through the hard times of mourning with families and memories of time that goes, Lord we know you are the one who holds the world in your hands, God continue to guide us with your spirit truth and light until we are ready to take that very same heavenly flight.

Thoughts prayers and Dedications to Justin Dunns family and friends
Steve Cooper
R.I.P.Brother my thoughts & prayers go out to the Dunn Family
Such sad news when this happens to a fellow brother, god bless.
Our thoughts and prayers will be with his family and friends....What a tradgedy
Rest in Peace Brother
Rest in peace bro.
Our Prayers and thoughts are with this family. This is a tragic loss to our Community.
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. May you rest in Peace.
Justin, we miss you and love you so dearly. I still see you sitting beside us at our wedding laughing and smiling. What can i say we just miss you so much. We never in this world thought that was our last hugg from you our last moment together. You'll always be in our hearts and in our prayers. RIP Justin Paul. Love always jess and zeke.
Bland 25 to Bland 10 Go rest high on that mountain in the sky we will miss you and love you and never forget you! 10 also remember we will see you again and it will be a joyeus day when we get together and and tell stories of the old days! Love BCVFD 25 The Duck
God speed young man. RIP

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service