I have had a huge Infux of kids in the Explorer program which is great but the problem is I do not have enough gear or helmets. Right now I need helmets in a bad way if anyone can help please contact me ASAP. I don't wan't to turn kids away but if we do not get any help I will have to do so. Right now some are shareing turnout gear and helmets. You can contact me at dwomble6116@bellsouth.net Thanks for any help. Dwayne Womble Chief Advisor for post 560.

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry, but in my opinion there is no reason for explorers to have their own gear and turnouts. The kids can still participate in the program, they can still learn the skills and job of a FF, there is stuff to do without having to be in gear. The times they may need to be in gear like doing ladder work, they can share PPE. Explorer programs are in place to let kids observe and learn about a job that they may want to do in the future, or they may find it isn't for them. There is no reason that every kid should have gear, if they are on a fireground, their rightful place is that of an observer.
OK that is your opinion but in N.C they are required to be in gear at trainings and fire grounds. For the ones that are on Fire departments they are issued gear but the ones who are not or not old enough to be on a department is issued gear through the Explorer program. But this discussion was not about what people think Explorers should do or get it was about if anyone was interested in helping out these guys and girls but obviously you are not.
I'm familar with Explorer programs, at least the ones through the Learning for Life program through the BSA, I started as an explorer and still serve as an advisor. You are saying you don't want to turn kids away and the fact is you don't have to turn kids away because they don't have turnout gear. There is enough that you can do without having each kid in turnouts, the groups can be split to do one thing or at least stand away from the training area while other do some activities and then just switch out.

On the fireground, there is no reason for an explorer to be helping out on the fireground, because the role of the explorer is to observe. They can do this from a command post, sitting in the rig or away enough where they don't need gear. Now I do know that each dept does things how they want and some use such programs as some training ground for perspective members, but the reality is that was never the intention of an explorer program.

Bottom line is there is no reason to turn away kids because you don't have gear for them. There is enough that can be learned where gear is not needed. In the events where you have more kids than gear, you can split groups. I am in favor of explorer programs and think they do help give a perspective of the job, but there is a limit to what they can do and what they should be allowed to do.
I agree with what you are saying. There again our Explorer program is County wide. We are under the N.C state Firemen's Association. We have gone away from the BSA. due to the Association has better benefits and insurance. So I have to go by their rules that are in place. I don't have any intentions on turning any kid away until it comes down from the Association which I have been told that this is a possibility. I understand what you are saying again I don't disagree but I have fought and I have lost.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service