NEW YORK - A wake is being held for a New York City firefighter who worked at Ground Zero for six months after 9/11 and was later diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Firefighter James Ryan, of Kings Park, N.Y., died on Christmas. He was 48 and leaves a wife and three children.

Uniformed Firefighters Association president Steven Cassidy is upset Ryan will not receive a line of duty funeral because the city does not consider his death job related.

Ryan's brother, Mike, believes his brother's cancer resulted from exposure to toxins at Ground Zero.

Firefighters who had worked with Ryan in Queens say they have organized an honor guard and bagpipes for Tuesday's funeral.

Services will be held at Abiding Presence Lutheran Church in Fort Salonga.

Related

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Views: 732

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

FDNY needs to get there head out of the butt because im betting that is a line of duty death there was alot of crap in the air after those towers fell.
THAT'S BULLSHIT WITHER HE DIED ON THE JOB OR NOT IT WAS THE JOB OF 9/11 THAT GAVE HIM THE CANCER SO TO ME HE SHOULD GET A LINE OF DUTY FUNERAL...REST IN PEACE BROTHER MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO HIS FAMILY
I have to agree with everyone else in this community is saying-it's BS! That man spent time at the World Trade Center and, of course, the NY Government does not want to admit that there was a ton of cancer causing agents in the rubble from the Trade Centers and that anyone with prolonged exposure is effected.
Come on NY, these firefighters gave there all, now you get off your laurels and admit to the problem!!
FIRST OFF MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO THIS BROTHERS FRIENDS AND FAMILY...SECOND THE GOV WILL DENY IT TO THE END THEY DID IT WITH OUR SOLDIERS IN VIETNAM AND AGENT ORANGE .THEY DID IT WITH GULF WAR SYNDROM.THEY WILL DO IT WITH OUR SOLDIERS THAT ARE IN IRAQ AND AFGANISTAN AND THEY WILL CERTAINILY DO IT WITH THE WORLD TRADE CENTER ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING THEY CAN SWEEP UNDER THE CARPET WILL GET SWEPT.......
My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of brother Ryan as well his brothers and sisters on the FDNY.

I countinue to find it inexcusable and insulting that the US Government as well as the State of New York and New York City have, from day one, attempted to cover up all of the hazardous materials in the air around Ground Zero...... The people who worked the pile did what we all do..... Gave %200 for the public and our brothers only to be lied to and misled in an attempt to expediently clean up that Godforsaken mass grave.

Now their dedication and devotion is killing them and the collective governments don't care.

Rest in Peace Brother

144Truck
IT WAS THE JOB OF 9/11 THAT GAVE HIM THE CANCER
I'm going to be the devil's advocate here- you know this for a fact?

Are you a Doctor?

Are you HIS Doctor?

Do you know his families illness history?

Do you know if he served in Vietnam?

Do you know anything at all about him, other than what's reported?

Whilst I agree he should get full burial rights, lets not jump to conclusions about the causes of his illness.
FDNY,wheres the brotherhood? RIP bro!
100% BULLS***! RIP BROTHER.
Condolences to FF Ryan's family and friends.

Lung and respiratory illness/disease seem to be the common factor in 9/11 workers, as well as NYC residents. A cancer cluster of similar types suggests a common factor or causative agent. Sadly pancreatic cancer doesn't seem to fit the profile insofar as I've been able to determine. Not to say that it couldn't be related but the method of exposure suggests otherwise.

Young(er) people do get cancer. I lost a kidney to it, my dad died of pancreatic cancer. These things do happen. I would be more surprised to find that, out of the "71,000 registered WTC Health Registry, including Twin Towers survivors and nearby office workers, lower Manhattan residents, kids, school staff, and 31,000 rescue, recovery and cleanup workers" that none showed up with any type of cancer 9 1/2 years later, whether or not they had been exposed on 9/11.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/regional/item_2VGDu5F60CTfw8yKQbK0IK#i...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/regional/item_2VGDu5F60CTfw8yKQbK0IK -
The study is already zeroing in on blood cancers - leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and non-Hodgkins lymphoma - which can develop in two to 10 years, sooner than most tumor cancers.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2006-11-21/news/death-by-dust/ -
Those 75 cases have come to light in joint-action lawsuits filed against New York City on behalf of at least 8,500 recovery workers who suffer from various forms of lung illnesses and respiratory diseases—and suggest a pattern too distinct to ignore. While some cancers take years, if not decades, to develop, the blood cancers in otherwise healthy and young individuals represent a pattern that experts believe will likely prove to be more than circumstantial.
What a dissapontment,this is a travesty for our community. Just goes to show that the "higher-ups" would rather cover something up that admit to it. By all means he deserves the recognition for what he did, and any injuries that resulted from it. my thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
A few of our people spent time at the WTC after the attacks, we're clear across the other side of the state. If one of them happens to come down with cancer and die, do we give them a FDNY LODD funeral too? They were responding "mutual aid."

It sucks, but I have to agree with lutan1 here. Unless you can definitely show that his death was a direct result of performing his duties in the aftermath of the WTC attack and that he wouldn't have gD cancer if he had not been there (or had adequate PPE for the conditions) then I think the argument against having his death be declared an LODD is fairly sound.

But it was a brief article. Only his doctors would know for sure.
Lutan, he was 48 years old. I think it's safe to assume that he DID NOT serve in Vietnam! Other than that, you've got a good point. Stay safe!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service