I know that since I started on this venture, I've done plenty of dumb-a$$ed things....not the least of which was leaving my gloves sitting neatly on top of my locker while the engine I was riding on was pulling out of the station....Or how about making a hydrant, leaping off the truck and grabbing the line....and forgetting the bag of hydrant tools...

Feel free to share!!

Views: 352

Replies to This Discussion

i think one story i will never forget is the first big call that i went on. it wasn't exactly a mistake on my part but it was hillarious!!! . . . it was a 5 am structure fire and as the morning went on more and more people came to the scene compared to the sketeton crew we had leaving the station. after we got every thing taken care of and picked up i was assigned to pick us walk out and roll up all the hose we had out. at the time i was about 3 months into being a member but i grew up wuth all the guys so i was already kinda "one of the guys," but my gear was typical aweful probie gear that didn't fit AT ALL! expecialy my boots- i have size 6 teeny little girl feet and i was issued jigantic mens 11 1/2 monster size boots that where extremely ineffective. the point of the story is that in the process of rolling the hose the boots where givig me problems and i had to keep stopping to fix them so all the guys at the call where picking on me and i yelled over all the noise that i couldnt do it because my BOOTS where too big ...but there is an ongoing joke now because the two leutenants and a chief thought i said something other than boots.
LOL
ooooooh yea! they have ALOT of fun with that one
Well I have done dumb a$$ stuf but this week had to be the best. I have had an attraction to holes this week. Let me explain.

Last saturday at FF1 we were training in the maze (our masks covered in saran wrap so we can see light but nothing else), well there is one part wher we come up to a ladder going down then a ramp giong back up. I was using the ax handle like a blind person cane to feel obsticles, it glides over the stairway and I don't feel it so there I am thinking the way was clear and picked up speed. Then all of a sudden I fall head first down the ladder (about 4 feet), as I lay crumpled up in a ball with SCBA on I hear people yelling you ok? I was ok and got up feeling about 3" tall.

Well I put this behind me and we got a call at 3:45 AM the other morning, It was a grain dryer on fire. I was able to make the second engine, at the scene I pulled both hand lines, and got the roof ladder for my captain, and was bringing it to him to place on the dryer. We got it up and I was moving out of his way. I stepped to the right and fell over like a bowling pin into a 3' deep pit for the millings.

Again it is dark, I can't see, i'm lying in a hole and people are yelling are you ok. Again I get up, tell them I am and fine and feel 3" tall.

So I told my girlfriend she doesn't have to worry about me getting burned or having smoke inhilation just falling into holes.
I just got hired about 4 months ago and, luckily, I haven't done TOO many stupid things. Some are pretty funny. Our city is proclaimed "Halloween Capital of the World" so there's huge events and parades the week of Halloween. Well, the first parade I didn't have a department jacket so the Asst. Chief tossed me his jacket to wear since it was about 30 degrees out. Couldn't help but feel about 8 inches tall having the "Blackhats" call me "Chief" all night. Another lesson learned, DONT RESPOND TO CALLS WEARING YOUR HALLOWEEN COSTUME... Especially one that does not look right without the mullet wig. People just wont understand and you end up looking like a total goon in the wrong decade.

My favorite "dumb a$$ moment, however, is after my first fire 3 weeks onto the job. I came into the dept with my fire 1,2 and EMT but I was completely shocked to make an engine at 3 weeks. Go to do quite a bit but when we got back to the station we started cleaning the trucks and recovery etc... Well, nobody told me that cleaning our personal gear waited until EVERYTHING was done. So I finished my tasks and started cleaning my pumpkin orange helmet before all of the hose got reloaded. One of the blackhats yelled SO LOUD that all 20 people in the station heard him. Needless to say I dropped my helmet and grabbed a towel to wipe the truck some more. Lesson learned.

When I tell non-firefighters all the goofy and funny things that happen they really dont laugh. They looked more puzzled. Guess it's all in perspective.

Stay safe!
I tried this one last winter, walked right into a ditch that a vehicle had apparently flew over not driven over, sunk right up to my hips and the crew and chief all had a nice laugh. O well no injuries. Stay Safe.
thats what auto-eject is for guys... unless that fails...
my neighbor two door down had a heart attack, i responded with my personal kit(EMT-basic but dont carry personal O2) and beat the cops who were only a half mile down the street, ran in with them hot on my heels to find him sitting in a chair not breathing, I began CPR with the officers setting up to breath for me, about two or three pumps in his internal defib fired and he sat straight up and stared at me and inhaled a big breath, I fell backwards and stared at him from the ground and screamed, "Holy Sh&*" it actually worked!!!" just as my Chief walked in the room. Patient was transported rapidly by the ambulance and then we all fell over laughing at my surprise.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service