Last week I went to lunch with some co-workers (non-FFs) and the discussion rolled around to my involvement with the FD. One of the guys said "well, you must have guys that just join the department for the drinking". This recalled to mind another comment by someone, some years back, who swore that ALL volunteer FFs drank at the station and "those who say they don't are lying".

In my department you might find a 6-pack or two if you look in every nook and cranny, but we really don't touch the stuff on drill night or after calls, or meetings. There just isn't stuff to touch. In the late 80s we had the converted soda machine that dispensed several brands of beer but we got rid of it because the Jr. FFs were becoming interested in the stuff.

So - what is your department policy or practice regarding alcohol in the firehouse?

NOTE: 10/16/09: I started this thread over two years ago to gather input from other volunteer firefighters on FFN as it was then. The new theme is, what steps can we take to make America's fire houses 100% dry?

Views: 2532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

we dont allow it in the station now if you happen to have some in your ice chest from the previous weekend thats ok but it is not to be sonsumed on the premisis there is another department in the area however that has several cases (yes i said cases) on hand. In fact they actually order it from a vendor they get so much of it. Personally i dont think alcohol has any place in the fire service. In this job we need to be 110% aware of our surroundings whenth tones go off and if you have been drinking and respond to a call then you are putting yourself and others in danger. If you have it in your station what kind of message is that sending to the public? We are supposed to be role models. Im not saying Ive never had a drink but I can say that I have never responded to a call after drinking heavily. If I have a just a few drinks (2 or 3 all day or night) then I wait a minimun of 2 hours before even thinking about responding.
Our house is 100% dry. No alcohol within 8 hours of your showing up to a call or to your regular shift.
Well, our policy is that our "bar" remains closed until AFTER ALL drills, calls, etc. have been completed and cleared. I am a member of our Backroom Committee and no alcohol gets served from the locked fridge until everything is completed and cleared by one of the officer's. I'm only 18 so I can't legally drink and I don't drink at the firehouse at all. It's different drinking at my own house when my parents are aware of it, but I will never drink at my firehouse until I'm at least 21. Even then I might drink little to no alcohol because I wouldn't trust myself if I ever drove. If I ever did get real bad, I would probably just crash at the firehouse for a while.
Drinking is prohibited at the fire house due to the fact were owned by township.
There are only 3 nights that drinking is allowed at any of our FD functions. First is our Kansas Homecoming (a 2 night festival), after the beer tent is closed and all the patrons have left, we get to finish off the kegs!! Other depts are on alert for us at that time. Some ffers don't indulge, so they would respond if we got a call.. Second is our Reverse Raffle, it is an off site event. For the most part we all drink soda (because it's free!! and we all have to drive home...). Third is our Christmas Party, again, off site.
If anyone has had any alcohol in the recent few hours (or are still under the effects) they are not permitted to respond.
Luckily as far as drinking goes, our department has only had one ffer that had a drinking problem, luckily he knew not to come to the station, and has since stopped drinking..

Isn't St. Florian's Feast Day coming up...May 4th?
I'll have to order a keg and hook a fire hose to it. :)

GM
It looks like beer to me in the picture of the pitcher.

St. Nicholas is also listed as the Patron Saint of Brewers, Bakers, Chimney Sweeps and Pawnbrokers
LoL

GM
I feel that if there is Alcohol that it would alter the FireFighters decisions. This might injury or kill the FireFighter or one of their own. Alcohol and Saving lives don't mix.
G Man:
What I think you are seeing is actually the first recorded case of drug testing.
It is clear to me that St. Florian is holding up his urine sample and judging by his smile, he PASSED!
This date in history...
TCSS.
Art
No alcohol in the houses and 12 hours bottle to throttle for volunteers and returning shift personnel, is our policy. Random testing is in our sog's along with any driver involved in an injury accident is subject to testing. Pagers off and no department shirts, jackets or hats when in a bar in our district. Does everyone comply, probably not, but if found out, penality is sever. The public has placed their trust in us to provide service when requested, and have entrusted with the money to provide the resources to provide those services. We respond when someone is having a bad day, we have to provide the best service possible and responding drunk is not the way. If all brothers and sisters possess the honor they should it would not happen. Everyone goes home!
So whaddya do...? Is 1 really too many? Would you let a medic work your mom if you knew he had had 1"Old Style"?

I personally wouldnt mind.

Several larger, older fire departments (started in the 1800's old) still have in their rules that 1 wine or 2 beers could be consumed with lunch and/or dinner. Did they know their own limits back then or were they ignorant? Or were there just less lawyers?

Theres a stigma that comes with the fire service that we are some sort of borderline alcoholics who fly down the street with our sirens blaring and beer cans in our turnouts. We all have heard stories or seen first hand the "soda machine" with the one "grape nehi" button that really only despenses MGD. So what? Most departments have been dry for years but the publics preception still hasnt changed. While this topic has a great many twists and turns all sides should be considered. The chief needs guys to man apparatus, not drunks. The community who may help pay for equipment/wages/vehicle insurance has an expectation to call 911 and have a sober civil servant help them out.

A paid guy is still a man in a house, not a prisoner in a cell, and in my opinion should be allowed a ration, be it 12oz of beer or 8oz of wine with a meal. OR near beer if he can stand the taste. A volunteer can come and go as he pleases. While responding from home if hes had a bottle of Mickey's after mowing the lawn, so be it. This is america and the flag is still flying.

The mortal danger one flirts with is when the assumption is made that more than one beer is acceptable. I believe in the brotherhood up to a point but would not hesitate to ask a cop to do a breathalizer on a scene if I felt another firefighter was impaired, and god help you if you are. While keeping a secure, out of the public eye, supply of beer and wine for the men could seem justifiable on a career (24hr shift) department it would seem harder to justify the same for guys not readily employed by the department. Drinkin one with a meal is one thing but hanging out and drinking while waiting for a call looks bad. You hit someone going home in your own p.o.v. after drinking with the boys at your station and someone is going to fry your ass and the department. Theres bars for that. After 1 you really should consider your status for the evening. Stay and drink (by all means) or stop drinking and respond, just not both.

BTW, I think wearing your duty shirt or pager into a bar is a bad move too, looks tacky and gives the wrong impression. If the tones go off would you respond from the bar after several witnesses watched you down a jaeger bomb? Might be askin for trouble. Wear a different dept's shirt in as well. Not that they get blamed for something you did... its just not your company's colors.

The stigma of drinkin and driving wont ever let the beer with a meal rule happen in the fire service. Theres too many lawyers who would love to hang one of us out knowing that we had a beer with dinner before the apparatus vs car crash. Theres some folks on here that will say Im a nut for even suggesting it. Am I? Id like to pose a question to them:

Do you except signed refusal-of-service forms from people who have had 1 beer? Or more than one beer? Is a patient capable of signing off AMA while you or your medics know that the patient had been consuming ETOH? I may blog that later...

Mark

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service