Spotted a hydrant behind a commercial strip today, but then noticed something else. Would you position your apparatus behind this structure during a working fire? The retaining wall on the right becomes taller as it bends out of site, finally topping out at 20 feet in height. It extends to the other end of the block.

Views: 329

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Access Requirements

Access Roadways
All newly constructed buildings are required to have fire access roadways within 150’ of all portions of the building. However, this distance may be increased if the building is equipped with automatic fire sprinklers, or some other approved means of fire protection or no more than two R-3 or U occupancies are served. Access roadways must meet the following criteria:

Must have an unobstructed with of at least 20’.
Must have an unobstructed height of at least 13’ 6”.
Must be capable of supporting vehicles weighing at least 75,000 pounds in all weather.
May not exceed 10% grade unless approved by the Fire Chief.
Dead end roadways longer that 750’ are not permitted unless approved by the Fire Chief.
Dead end roadways longer than 150’ must have approved turnarounds. The minimum turning radius for a turnaround is 50’ outside and 30’ inside measured from the center of the roadway.
Must include KNOX key boxes or other approved means for entering gated areas. KNOX key box applications must be obtained from your local fire department.
i would use the hydrant but i would do a reverse stretch drop the high rise pack hook in the attack lines and move the engine to the hydrant. looking at this building, it'll take a while for the roof to even collapse, and if the roof did collapse, then hit it with a deck gun.
after seeing norm's post and the google earth image, i now have to side with norm. thanks on that.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service