Do You Have to be SCBA-trained and have FFI to Look For Victims in a House Full of Carbon Monoxide?

When I am 16 and 17 years old and my department has a call for carbon monoxide.Would I have to stay outside if they are looking for people inside?I was just wondering how that worked because it is not a fire.

Views: 498

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exactly!!! I am an instructor 1 so I have no proble trying to help this kid or anyothers out. I remember how I got my start. I'm gonna treat them the same way I was treated as a junior. There are no stupid question.
Why would you want him booted off? He's just trying to learn. Damn! Cut him some slack!
It appears Travis is intending to join, or maybe has JUST joined, his local FD. I think he has been asking these questions just to find out what to expect.

Travis: Make sure you get copies of the department by-laws and standard operating procedures. Read them. Learn them. These documents should answer a lot of the questions you may have since as others have said, each department does things a little differently.
Thank you Capt703. I posted a reply similar to yours in his thread about driving after 9, when someone told him to go find another website. I'm glad to see that there actually is still some compassion for others in here. Like I said in the other post, Aren't we all in the business of helping others? And to to mirror what Capt703 said, Travis doesn't think his questions are stupid or whatever. Give the kid a break. HELP a budding FF on to the right path to becoming a safe, active firefighter.
As for the OP: you need scba to enter a structure with the presence of carbon monoxide. If not trained...stay out.
Rick;
If the young lad is such a big pain in the assets to you then avoid his posts. No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to read them. I certainly hope that as a newly minted Lt. you show your own departments probies a bit more understanding and compassion than you appear to be able or willing to show this young man.
I don't know why anyone posts if they don't like the original post. It makes no sense to me.
Thanks Derek. These kids have questions because they want to learn. Who else is going to do the job when we hang up our helmets for the last time?
Excellent point Ron. I will admit that I didn't even think of that aspect. I was focusing more on the health risks. Good job!!!
Stay safe!!!
Check out IAPA's booklet, "CARBON MONOXIDE in the WORKPLACE" at http://www.iapa.ca/pdf/carbon_monoxide_feb2003.pdf

Contents as follows:

About this Guide...................................................................................................................1
Properties of Carbon Monoxide.................................................................................................2
Health Effects of Carbon Monoxide...........................................................................................5
Recognition and Evaluation of Carbon Monoxide ........................................................................10
Controlling Exposure to Carbon Monoxide .................................................................................15
Controls at the Source.........................................................................................................16
Controls Along the Path........................................................................................................20
Controls at the Worker ........................................................................................................22
Education and Training ........................................................................................................24
Putting the Control Program into Effect ..................................................................................25
Review Questions ...............................................................................................................26
Applicable Legislation ..........................................................................................................27
Resources .........................................................................................................................27
Very good lutan1. Travis check this out. This will answer questions on CO. If you really are serious about learning you will check it out little brother.
Thanks lutan1!!!
WOW!!! I just checked out the junior/explorers page and guess what? Some of you that like to put them down here with the "grown ups" are also posting on there. So where exactly do you want these kids to go? You don't want them asking questions here but you go there. What's the difference? They tried to use their own page. You guys went to it. I'm confused.
This is getting rediculous. Leave the kid alone already. Where's your compassion and patience that's expected from a firefighter. All I see is ridicule and degradation. Just a bunch of people playing fallow the leader on bullying the kid with, what are to him, legitimate questions.
Just answer the damn question if you have an intelligent or knowledgable response, or skip to another topic of discussion. It's that simple.
I feel sorry for the probies that are unfortunate enough to land in your dept. Really.
Intellegent or ignorant, "be safe" to you all.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service