I am a 18 year old firefighter in a small town in rural missouri, I am wanting some educated input on what I should do for my college. I am attending a community college this fall but I am conflicted on what courses to take. Due to the outlook of paid positions for career firefighters is bleak to say the least and not really open to anyone under 21 years of age. I have been a junior firefighter since i was 12 years old and I am also the third generation firefighter, it is in my heart and soul. I am asking for your help in some guidance to either start my associates degree in fire science or start in another trade for now. Thanks for your time and input

Views: 609

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bob,

How about stepping back and look at the bigger picture, not your isolated corner of the world. I have yet to see any dept in this day and age deny someone a job because they have education, it doesn't matter if a dept asks for the bare minimum of qualifications, High school, drivers license, and 18, or one asking for certs, a degree and paramedic as well. Working towards a degree is going to further make a person stand out regardless of what the bare minimum of qualifications ask for.

It also doesn't matter if a dept sends someone through their own academy either, so what if they do? Matter of fact there are plenty of depts that will still send new hires through their own academy. My dept asks for degree, certs, and paramedic and we still send new hires through an academy. So it really does NOT make a difference on the type of dept one is looking to go to. A person who really wants to be a FF is not going to isolate themselves to a specific dept or type and will look to find employment where they can.

Now sure a dept that asks for the bare minimum of qualifications could hire a person with no background in fire or could hire a FF from another dept looking for a change. Sure both have the same chances, but which one tends to stand out more? As it is, I can speak of a couple larger depts that both ask for the bare minimum of quals, yet give preference to those with education.

The fire service is really no different than any other employer out there, especially in this day and age. They want to know what makes you stand out from the rest of the competition, what you have to offer, how you have prepared yourself for the job and so forth. It doesn't matter if they have their own training program or not, but what sets the individual apart from any other candidate.

If one seriously limits themselves to hoping to get on a big dept because they don't ask for education or certs, then they truly are limiting their chances of becomming a FF. Whereas one can be going to school for such a degree, can still take the test for a big city and go through the process. If they get hired, fine, if not they can have a degree and further education to try again or elsewhere. Let's also consider the fact that a testing process can take many months to years before someone could get hired......why advocate "doing nothing" just because the dept doesn't ask for further education?

Chris,

Education is great and I salute you for furthering yours, experience in the fire field is often a large factor in getting hired, and as a thought there is a school not too far from you ,College of the Ozarks® P O Box 17, Point Lookout, MO 65726, also known as Hard Work U,  they offer a Christian based education at reduced rates in return for working on campus. I do know that they have a Fire Department that is at least partially staffed by students which would give you some experience while earning your degree. 

Check them out and let us know what you find out.

I don't disagree with anything that you said. My degree, though not in fire science or administration allowed me to get my teaching certification several years ago which lead me to be hired by my current combo department as their public educator.

I was simply commenting that in this part of the world, the gold patch on the shoulder will do much more initially to get you hired than a college degree will. Certainly having a degree or showing that you are working towards a degree won't hurt your chances, with the paramedic certification.

In most parts of this world, the medic cert means more for entry level than a degree, etc. Yet there is a reason for that and it is cost effective, where depts once would spend money to send members for medic training, it is easier and cost effective to hire them today.

Like I said, these are entry level jobs and those depts not asking for certs or more, then a degree is not a priority. Although, having education does make a person stand out more and does set them apart from other candidates. So the advocation or asking as to what type of dept one wants to work for does not matter and should not change a decision as to work towards a fire degree or some other trade. As long as the individual understands what is involved for the dept they are applying for, then that is all that matters. One can have a bachelors, paramedic, and years of experience on a dept, yet are still going to go through a fire academy and learn how that particular dept operates.

The job process is lengthy for any dept. Most FFs know what they entail, yet there are many non-FFs who think you can just go down and apply for a dept and get hired on. The first time someone takes a FF test and sees the number of other people testing as well can be overwhelming, so how do you move beyond all those other people? How are you the one selected? By standing out.....by getting a high score on a written, pass (and if scored, get a high score) on a physical agility, ace your interview and bring more to the table, because everyone else is trying to do the exact same thing. One can be consistently preparing themselves for a job, furthering education, obtaining certs and so forth, rather than sit on their ass awaiting a call for a dept not asking for more up front. It baffles me that people would advocate that approach because a dept asks for bare minimums....it certainly does not matter what type of dept a person wants to work for.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service