Well Brothers & Sisters allot of us have been introduced to Ag Rescue a time or two in our careers. In this segment I'm looking to get your attention and info on the situations you have been delt and give us some insight on what works for you and what tools can be used. No matter where you are there will always be a place for this, whether in the city dealing with your commercial guys mowing or your local farmer baling hay to running that post hole digger and to the man that works at the local CO-OP...

Views: 942

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some info on NH3 (Anhydrous Ammonia):

While the HAZMAT guys won't like to hear this, you CAN deal with NH3 in your structural PPE. Make sure ALL skin is covered, SCBA is on, and go in under a fog stream. (One of those times you get to turn the hose on your buddies :-) We've done this quite a few times to shut off leaking valves.

NH3 is flammable. Not sure what the USA has in their HAZMAT books, but up here, it use to be listed as flammable, then got changed a few years ago. I think it had something to do with harmonization between USA and Canada for the transport companies??? Anyway, NH3 will burn.

NH3 is heavier than air. It will settle into low spots. If you have had an NH3 leak, it's a good idea to soak down the low spots with water. Oh yeah, NH3 loves water. There use to be a video of a gallon can of water where one drop of NH3 was injected. The can instantly imploded. That's why you want lots of water when dealing with NH3!

Andrew
Andrew you are correct, a few years ago is when that was changed to a Haz-mat level to deal with the contents..Something to add with what Andrew is saying on situations like this where we need to wait for that haz-mat group to arrive, us as fireman should have on full PPE and SCBA when dealing with this stuff and remember our training, up hill, up stream and up wind and use a fog pattern and spray downward to pull the contenets to the ground and no matter what never allow anyone to move the tank until all is cleared and the contents are contained...Remember these kind of tanks are under pressure and when the contents are changing from a liquid to a gas things start to freeze, so keep in mind that just because your dont see a white cloud shooting out of the tank that means everything is all clear. Most Anhydrous tanks have a contents gauge, just a manual gauge or what some may call a clock gauge, this gauge signifies how much content is left in the tank. And by all means if the need to evacuate down wind, down stream or down hill command needs to keep this in mind and have operations execute what needs to be done. Good job Andrew...
If there is no rescue problem or life safety issue for civilians and the downwind area has no civilian shelter area (farmhouse, occupied work area, school, etc.) you can just let the ammonia leak until a hazmat team arrives.

Sometimes doing nothing is the safest option.
Your right Ben, it just all revolves around the situation at hand..
The FARMEDIC program offers excellent training on farm vehicle and machinery accidents, farm confined space emergencies, farm hazmat, and other farm hazards like substandard or exposed electrical installations. They also have additional specialty classes like silo and grain bin fires and emergencies. Check their web site for classes, specialty classes, and the instructor certification program. Here's how to host a FARMEDIC program in your area.
Great job Ben...Thanks for posting that information...
Something to keep in mind Capt and everyone else not one single situation is the same as the other and not everyones area is the same as yours, we always prepare for the worse and critique what we have when we arrive on scene. We teach the what if's and we gain what knowledge we can, to put toward what we have in each ones own area..But great job 723 and good input..
Great addition 723...Pre planning!!! Words well put Sir...MSDS sheets are very important in your pre planning...For the ones who have these types of business in there areas go by and ask for a copy of there MADS sheets and maybe a tour of the places to get a better grip and plan for the worst on what will need to be done.
Good input Ruger 2004
I agree. This is awsome!!! Keeps me thinking.
Here are some Ag/ Fire-Rescue photos I recieved in an e-mail, I do not know anything as far as information on these so maybe we can use them to start more discussions on other Ag/ Fire-Rescue topics.
Attachments:
And some more. Enjoy ;-)
Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service