Well should I join a department thats closer to me,and that can sign me up for FF1, and that can give me gear that fits and where i can make calls

Views: 510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, yes, yes and yes...all other things being reasonably equal because there are other considerations. The guys are right about needing to do two more years as a junior, so don't get in a hurry.
Im correct, you have to be atleast 16 to join a NY VFD, you are a junior member until your 18, and yes, even right now i go on calls with them. Im not asking for brand new gear, just gear that properly fits me and doesnt make it more difficult then it needs to be
im not in a hurry, im just gonna do what works best for me and is more conveinent and where it makes more sense for me to be a member at
The nearest educational organisation to me that does the Public Safety (Firefighting ) Certs is Swinburne University (TAFE). How much of the Cert courses they offer to the general public I don't know, not interested as most of the training we do is in house (the CFA is an RTO). They are utilised by the CFA for some of the subjects we need, but not many.

We prefer that people do their training in-house, that way they step through with the ability to be involved in the practical side both with calls and regular training. If someone was to apply to join as a Vol showing us their paid for certificates, we'd be curious - why go and pay for the training when with us it's all free? We wouldn't ignore the training of course, because if it came from an RTO it's part of the National qualification system, just as my in-house training is. But, and it's a big but, a person would not be accepted to perform any task until we'd had them join in with our general training.

How long can it take? How long is a piece of string... We've had people go through all of our required training and include a few extras to get them Cert 11 within about three years. The training could easily be done in less time, but courses aren't always available, just like Luke mentioned with the private RTO's. Extras for Cert 11 - because it isn't required, it's a nice to have. Cert 111 is even more of a 'nice to have'.

As an example, the routine in my Brigade. A person signs up as a recruit. It can take 3 or 4 months to go through the initial level, which is to attain the CFA Wildfire Firefighter certificate (nothing to do with the National system, except all the components come from that system). Until they attain that level, they don't have pagers, they are never told about calls, even if at the station when a call comes in they are not allowed to get on a vehicle or go anywhere near an incident. They are trainees.

After qualification they will be issued with their own Wildfire PPE, they are then allowed on calls under close supervision at first. They may go to structural calls but will not be allowed internal. At this time they will be starting their next CFA level of training, to become Wildfire/Low Srtructure firefighters. Once again, external only until they become qualified with BA. We don't allow people to train in BA until they've had a years experience.

As they attain more individual units of training, they will move through to Wildfire Structure then Structure Wildfire (this last being fully structure qualified). Not all Brigades need this level of training, mine does.

After doing everthing needed in my Brigade, perhaps doing a little extra to even get their Cert 111, if they are accepted by one of the career serices here they will then go through the full 3 month recruit training, then be appointed to a station, then after maybe another year become a Qualified Firefighter. All any earlier traning will be worth (I think) is that it could make the training easier, because you've already been through it once. Before going to North America and paying out the money, keep in mind the differences between vehicles, methods, tactics between there and here. Our structural methods for instance are very much more the UK/EU style, with our wildfire close to Canada but still very much our own.
It is good to call you sir! It is good practice...
This is a "Yes, sir!" industry
You call me sir and I turn around looking for my dad....
Lutan you are VERY patient - and well versed. You are a fount of resources! Thanks for taking the time to share.
Sorry Adam, but all of that was, in a way, on subject. Well, somewhat...

I think you have some good answers, think about what people have said. Getting all the training, but too far from home (so that you won't get to the jobs) won't be good. Close to home but only a poor level of training provided - also not good. You need to look carefully at what there is, and what each FD offers.

If you were a Vol here at 16, you would be a firefighter, not a junior. Juniors for us is 12 to 16th birthday. Those young members must have signed parental (guardian) permission and will always have a mentor. They would have to live very close to the station, or they would never make a truck (no driver's licence until 18). No, we don't have any at my station.
But you distinctly know this is not a "No Sir" industry

saying NO very often will get your butt canned...
So practicing YES SIR is a good idea...

FACE IT - you are an old timer now - and thus a SIR - alongside your dad... ;-)
say goodbye to your youth (insert waving here)
this is a good rule of thumb to apply to everyone on this site - that out ranks you - in the fire fighter para military world - anyone who has been on the department longer than you - out ranks you. And on scene - you will need to yes sir them all... in real life... you will need to follow their direction whether or not they hold an official officer standing.

Many non-officers now were prior chiefs or officers who have stepped down for a variety of reasons. Many officers in the U.S. are elected or voted or appointed positions - which can be turned down. Some people like being "just a firefighter" and don't want to be the officer on scene. Be careful when you make assumptions - many of these "seemingly average firefighters" on this site - and in life - have carried many extraordinary roles and done extraordinary work... and deserve the respect - with or without having a current POSTED (on this page) officer status..

Most of the chiefs and officers I know - don't advertise or state to anyone in any setting that they are officers ever - it is merely a fire scene thing.
Tyler, That's the thing you learn in this business. If you want respect you first have to give it! I don't hand out respect easy! This discussion(respect) has been hammered to death on here, and that's an old subject.

You might of not of realized it at the time, but by your first remarks to this post, it took the subject away from the original poster who was Adam. It wasn't fair to him that his post took a turn in the wrong direction.

Now with saying that, I do appreciate how you were able to take a pause, and made a positive turn around. There have been a few young folks who had made knee jerk comments, and never recovered! Those are the ones that show no respect for the ones that have the knowledge who are trying to hand down their experience.

Some of the members on here have been around awhile and will show you the way, if you let them!

Stay focus, and soak up the experience... which I know you will!
Good luck in your journey....
I'm really not that mean...that's only a rumor spread by my Probies....LOL..always ready and more than willing to help a new or younger member...Just have to be willing to ask AND be willing to listen...I learned most of what I know from Senior members or the hard way...believe me its better from the Seniors (hurts a lot less)....been around the block a few times, if I can't answer the question I can find someone that can....stay safe and remember to always keep the faith.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service