I'm looking to buy some Lights and siren for my POV, I've been looking at alot fo the Big chains (Galls, GT Distributors) and some small ones, (Needlights.com, sirennet.com) and not really sure what to get. I've got my heart set on a Mini Phantom or a Whelen Slim-miser LED dash light, and as for the siren I want to go with a galls model becuase of the Thunder intersection clearing Tone, As we have it in two of our three Trucks and it works really well. But I wanted to get input from those out there that have experaince in shopping for these items// Possibly have some for sale second hand.

Any comments or Ideas would be Appreciated.

Views: 708

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, as the wise man once said, you get what you pay for. I recently bought a red/white Talon with a red and white TIR-4 with a yellow traffic stick in the back for my truck. If you buy stuff second hand its usually because the person selling it found something better. The mini is nice but its just that, its more of a complementary light. As for the siren, I think the Whelen code3 is the best followed shortly by the SVP brand. Good luck in your search!
i guess it would help if i mentioned my pov is a 97 Grand Am
As far as lights, try www.ledoutfitters.com I just got a great deal there on an led lightbar, or you could try www.strobesnmore.com They have alot of the dash lights & sirens you are looking for. Hope this helps
I'm on a site that has a classified ad....it's www.elightbars.org

It's a great site, full of information for everyone (FD/PD/EMT)

You can also show pics of installs and more (but you have to register for the classifieds)
The only thing I would say is to make sure you check with your local law enforcement. I know where I live in Illinois we are only allowed to have blue and white lights and no siren. If you are caught with red lights going or a siren it is considered impersonating a police officer so just double check on that.
I have done a lot of research into this subject over the past 3 years. I am big into visibility and safety while responding to calls. I have found that needlights.com & sirennet.com have some of the best prices around hands down! As for actual lights.....I stick with Whelen brand. I have bought several different whelen lights and have not been let down. I currently have two whelen dual talons. When I bought these lights they were the brightest LED dash lights made. They have great visibility to the front and decent visibility on the sides. I also have a whelen slim lighter with the ultra bright generation 3 LEDs. This light is awesome and very bright also! It does not have good intersection clearing though, it is made to show the light straight out in front of you. My first light was a Mini phantom......it is a piece of crap! It is not very bright, does not have good intersection protection, and quit working after only a year. You get what you pay for. I paid around 85 bucks for my mini phantom and was very dissapointed! As for a siren....Whelen, Federal Signal, & code 3 would be about all i would trust my safety with.....they have been around a long time and have good products....there sirens have been tested to move traffic and keep you as safe and audible as possible. I know that federal signal has a new siren out.....it is the sound of the "Q" siren. It is very life like sound and it comes in wail, yelp that both sound like the Q. It comes with a 200 watt speaker and it is almost too loud! It really gets the job done! It also has an air horn feature on it and that sounds like a real air horn that you would have on your engine or truck. We recently bought a new ladder truck and it came with that siren. Our whole department loves that thing! Some advise: Stay away from strobes, hologens, & rotators....they are very bad for your vehicle electrical system and they draw way too much power from your vehicle......stick with LEDs as much as possible....they are a little more expensive but are worth it in the long run......I would only get Generation 3 LEDs because they are the best and newest technology and also the brightest. If you have any questions please let me know or if you wanna chat about light sometime. What color does your state allow you to run?

Stay safe brothers!
Brandon #73
www.nhatfireems.com
Thank you all for responding to t my quirey, I have looked into everything that everyone has mentioned here, and in Tennessee, we are alowed our choice of three colors for the Volunteer Fire Service; Red, Clear, and Amber. We can have up to a 150 watt siren in our POV.
I have recently gotten a really good deal on a Galls Street Thunder Siren w/100watt speaker from a sister Department that over ordered for there new engine.
I'm still looking at lights, and I tend to agree with Brandon #73, needlights.com has some of the cheapest prices, and they look like they would move traffic very easily.
I used speedtechlights.com for a lot of my equipment. Siren/Speaker for only $114, works great!
If you are looking for dash lights and sirens I can get what speedtechlights.com has and give you a better deal. Just email me what you are looking at and I'll give you my price. My email is shadowsstrobesnsirens@yahoo.com

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service