Here I go again. I absolutely love the idea of having a fire fighting forum to post thoughts. Please read and let me hear you responses. Coming from a small dept, I at times have the time to sit back and see what other depts. are up to. A larger dept. in the area was of interest to me on a rather dull day. Knowing some of the officers in charge of new recruits I sat in the shadows watching and learning (or so I thought) what could possibly be some new tricks with recruits . Man did I get a surprise to say the least. I watched in amazement as an officer with several years of soot on his bunkers screamed order after order at recruits . If this wasn't enough. Each time a recruit made a mistake even more verbal abuse was delt. I am all for preparing new recruits for the fire scene and following command. I am not for training personel by screaming at them. He was training all right. He was doing nothing more than setting an example and the wrong one at that. I do understand that placing new recruits in situations that require them to think on the feet is of importance as the fire scene is always changing. I do think in my opinion that there is much better ways to train than having the louder voice and making personnel feel worthless. Officers must lead by example! The days of screaming and yelling are gone. If officers train in this way the only thing they will get are less personnel! I would rather be placed in training with officers that are able to build upon my strong points and make me come up with sound solutions to my mistakes than be yelled at. We must remember that new recruits are always learning until such time as command feels they are ready to serve in other fire fighting duties not for new recruits. We must lead by example and be sound in judgement and confident in our abilities. This is what helps make us good officers and not screaming idiots!!!! Sometimes it pays to just sit and watch......

Views: 134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't want to discount your thoughts....and I agree that treating someone in a demeaning or disrespectful way is inappropriate....BUT.... I know that when I'm in the middle of a drill, and I screw up....a hard line stance gets the message across a lot faster than making nice.
I don't need my training officer to be my pal....I need him to show me how to keep me from getting myself or my fellow firefighters injured or worse. If he feels that yelling hammers the point home, then so be it.
Point well taken. I do agree that the hard stance at time is required. I realize that I failed to paint the picture . The officer I am speaking of was more than out of line almost to the point of not training just screaming and yelling. I had to post the discussion simply because the officer mentioned is a good officer, just not a training officer so to speak. An old school officer of 25+ years of service. I thought he was going to pop a vein! Thank you for your response . I always enjoy different insight on matters I post. Yet another reason I enjoy the Nation.
I agree with you Ted as far as the screaming is concerned....and as long as the corrections are just that....corrections, meaning explanations as to why what you just did is wrong, that's a better approach...
BUT....I've also had experience with the guy who just wants to be everyone's friend....I have a tendency to remember the words from my other officer, who does not resort to spittle spewing screams by the way...but in training...he can be a hard case....but when he talks....he puts a little bit of the fear of god into you...and I tend to remember what HE says vs. the "oh don't worry about it....you'll get it next time" officer.
My "hard case" incidentally, doesn't give compliments out like candy...but when you've learned something, retained it and used it...he's the first one in line to give you a slap on the back and a "nice job" --I'd rather earn his respect any day.
Sometimes when training firefighters you have to stress your points so they get it into their heads. If you ever watched a training class you see the little groups that are wispering back and forth and not listening to the instructor so they have to get loud to try to get their attention.

I am not saying to belittle anyone or scream till you bust a vein, but sometimes hard and fast gets it to stick.

And as far as pulling people on the side and telling them they did something wrong I do not agree with sometimes there is someone else in the group that is also having with that same task and you correcting the person will help them out also. If it is an activity that the group is watching one person do then you can ask them if they seen what the person did wrong and ask what they would have done different this will let you see how well the were watching paying attention in the class.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service