I was wondering what does everyone do when they get a called when they our at work and our close to there district.

I usually respond from work for 2nd alarm or 2nd dispatch from work when I can. Then what ever time I miss because of call I have to make it up with in two weeks.

Views: 505

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, sounds like a pretty good system. I was with a department in colorado for a while that paid out 15 cents a call. Paid out at the end of the end of the year. If a FF made lots of calls, he or she could walk away with 6-7K at years end.
i can only respond when not at my full time job and i keep my gear in my pov
I have had employers tell me to leave for a call. My current employer has told me if I leave for a call or am late because of a call That I am fired.
In Kansas right now they are working on a law that employers can't fire a employee for going on a call it will cover volly fire, ems and reserve police of sheriff . Funny they all let reserve military do there time and don't fire them.
I guess im lucky or my dept is lucky not sure. I work for the same town i chief for some times im only on e responding and at times sometimes its 10 to 15 min before anyone else gets on the fireground by then i have everything ready to go . but thats part of it with vol i guess
we only had 48 fire related calls last yr i made 46 year before we had 56 i made 55 of those i dont miss many we dont have a high volume of fire calls 25 square miles population about 1600 maybe but major highway through the middle just a little background for yall
I am very lucky to have a paid full time job that I am able to leave whenever we are paged out, no matter how big or small the calls are. I am only a couple minutes away from the fire hall as well. I am also paid for the time that I am gone by my employer. My employer is very understanding for the volunteer FF & EMT's!
I'm only 18 and don't have a job but if i can respond from college which is 30 miles away i try cause everyone in our dept. works out of town so i'm doing about 120 all the way back to the station. No tickets yet cause when i do get pulled over i just show my pager to the cop and they just say go a little slower and chuckle.
The place where i work we have 4 people who are on the same dept. our boss is very understanding, however we don't all leave usually just 1 or 2 of us. if we did have something BIG and didn't have enough people we could leave but this has only happened once. With mutal aid most of the time there is enough help to take care of the problem
The dealership I work for does not approve of any employee leaving work for such things. They beleive they are loosing money so they dislike the sicussion. I dont evan carry my pager anymore...i know what the answer is going to be ahead of time.
I work 13 miles from my dept, the company is very understanding about letting firefighters leave for calls. It doesnt count against us but we also dont get paid for the time we are gone. When i joined the dept, i knew i would have to leave work sometimes, money is not everything and there are people who count on us vol. firefighters to answer the calls. I also carry my bunker gear with me in my car, it's my old gear, my near gear stays at the fire hall.
I am fortunate enough to have them pay me when I leave for fires and serious pi mva's. I was also fotunate enough to be just punching into work one night when we were dispatched toa working fire with children trapped on second floor two blocks from work, I am an assistant chief, so I respond directly to the scene. Myself and a patrol officer for local pd arrived at the same time and was able to remove both young boys. Who survived after a couragious battle at the nearest burn center with 2nd and 3rd degree burns over 30 percent of their bodies.
My employer (a paper mill) actually had a special luncheon and presented me with a plaque.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service