When the ambulance arrives at the scene of a car accident, is it not required that the EMTs' in the ambulance check if the individuals involved in the crash are well?

I have recently heard of a situation where an ambulance showed up at an accident, looked around and did not administer any tests to see if one of the individuals in the crash were hurt. Instead, the EMT only looks at this person (who is at least 6ft away from the EMT during the "diagnosis") and asks, "Are you hurt?" and the individual responds with a confused, "I don't think so, I think I'm fine."

There's a problem here, and this could be a scenario where the person in the accident may be injured and not know it, like a very mild concussion or something else. These EMT's should have performed some sort of test to verify that the person was ok.

My question to you: Is there a law or protocol that is enforced by the state or federal governments which EMTs' must adhere to when dealing with people in car accidents? If so, where can you find this information.

Views: 8528

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Was gonna ask if the guy died. (THAT WAS A JOKE for those without a sense of humor);p

Seriously though- Was just gonna tell the guy that protocols are different in every county AND state. There's a national standard and each state and county has the obligation to hold to it or above.

Everything else I was gonna say was said- I just hadn't expanded the forum to see it all ;)

It pisses me off though, when people go lookin' for Zebras. Usually when random people come to an online community like this to ask random questions of this sort-- it's more often than not, to try and find wrong with someone with little to no basis for their concern, other than misplaced anger. If it's not OBVIOUS, then you probably don't have much to go on. Most of the folks in this line of work, do it with a lot of heart and compassion for others- so it makes much more sense that people with such a predisposition would not be negligent as implied.

Check with your county/local EMS Office if you have a question about something, or truly have a concern. No one is perfect- mistakes are made at times.

Guess that is it ;)

Respectfully,

Me~

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service