My department just got our first ladder truck in the history of the department. I am looking for some training ideas for truck company props, drills, and even maybe a truck company class.

Views: 542

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I could make this a very log post but I won't. Make sure everyone on the truck knows what a truck can do and can't, where it will go and won't. Everyone on the truck should be well versed in truck company operations: ladders, overhaul, ventilation, forcible entry, rescue, salvage, utility control, power and lighting, and special operations. Much of this depends on how you set your truck up.

We construct roofs to practice venting, we use buildings that are being torn down to practice forcible entry. We practice throwing tarps in the bay. Get creative.

Search truck company operations on the internet, purchase books like Harold Richman's Ladder Company Fireground Operations or look through the files at Firehouse.com.

I'm even available to consult to you for a phenomenal fee; but you'd probably be better off going to your state academy or other departments in your area to see what kind of training they can also offer.

And since you are interested in truck stuff, come see the rest of us truckies on Cancel The Engine.
You just got some great ideas from a few guys who know, and after you learn what your truck can do make sure you learn what it can't do!!!!
For fun find a light pole or a corner of a roof and tie a buket of water to the end of your ladder and let ops people try and rest that buket on the pole or roof edge without spilling the water.

I have a good one for everyone try and pick up eggs with your spreaders see who can do it without breaking the egg and for a the best part when you highly trained guys do it (like us in the know) use a hard boiled one ...
Look for any class or article that is written or taught by Mike Ciampo and Mike Dugan both from FDNY. They are great. Also Look for classes and articles by Robert Morris, and Mike Lombardo.

In order to do effective drills I think it is important to first assign jobs to the riding positions on the truck and organize your truck to coincide with these duties. Fore example:

Driver: Set Truck,Exterior Forcible Entry,Utilites,Ground Ladders
Officer: Size up, Interior supervisor, direct and assist interior truck company firefighter
Officer Side Firefighter: VES, S and R, Interior forcible entry, salvage and overhaul
Driver Side Firefighter: OVM (out side vent man)

If you have more guys you can divide the jobs up even further. We have found that it is easier to keep the duties to inside and outside and just divide them on the side of the truck your riding. Once you train your people to the proper jobs then place them in situations to perform them. You can also use this model for any type of call mva, haz-mat, etc.

A simple internet search will point you in the direction you need to get a good class. Good Luck.
First things first - that's a pretty nice stick! I would go with the previous responses, great stuff. Also, check out vententersearch.com it is a good "truckie" site. You also might want to find out how many truckie types you have versus hoseline guys (or gals). I know we have to know how to do the whole job, but really, some people lean one way or the other. Use the folks who are into truck work to help you get a good nucleus of trained FF's together. When you respond and arrive with that truck, you want to hop off and know what you are doing and do it well.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service