I'm a 16 year old junior in Belews Creek, NC. Iv'e been in since I was 12. When I first joined I had to go through a 6-month probation to see if I could follow rules and be responsible and respectful. When I was done with that I got my gear(no pager/minitor, our station isn't exactly"rich." I got that 2 years later) As soon as I got my gear the guys took me under their wings and taught me everything I know. I could ride on trucks then, no problem. And I did untill North Carolina said no, i can go to calls like before and do everything I could do, I just can't ride on trucks. It really kills me that I can't ride 10-18 in a truck anymore, but the fireman's 4 YEAR OLD KIDS can. They said it's legal that their kids ride with them 10-18, but I can't because i'm not their kid. Does that make sence? I rode trucks for 4 almost 5 years and have decent experience, but now I can't and kids that can't tie their shoes can. Does anyone know if letting juniors/cadets ride on trucks is optional or manditory? Many stations still let their kids ride, it's a heck of a lot safer than a kid haulin butt to get to a call then they crash. Right? Someone please let e know if you have any info.

Views: 135

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am an EMS Explorers post advisor. I don't see why the rules would be any different for EMS vs Fire as far as riding. We allow the Explorers to ride at the age of 16. Are you sure it is NC and not your depts insurance carrier? I will see what I can find about this.
Right now i'm not an explorer, i'm still a junior. Right now i'm under the same insurance as all of the other fireman and EMS at my station. Aren't the explorers covered under boy scout insurance? Right now we only have 3 juniors at my station, I was the only one for about 2 years. Both of the other juniors are under 16, so it would only work for me and not the other dudes if I was under the Explorers. I really don't want to go the Explorers route, I want to stay how I am. Iv'e got a copy of Explorers rules and they say I can't ride POV until half a year after my licence, I can only ride trucks on calls. That takes away most of the opprotunities I have to run calls. I can't even ride with a senior member to a call on their POV until half a year after my license. It also says I can't climb a ladder over 30ft. or use hydrolic equipment. Personally, using hydrollic equipment is one of the funnest things of fire training, I would hate to lose that. You say your an EMS Explorers post advisor? I didn't know you can be an Explorer with EMS. I might be interested in that, I have all of my cert's in CPR and i'm a healthcare provider. The thing is is that I can go on squad calls(or used to be able to) but i can't go inside, I have to either direct traffic or stay in the truck. Could the Explorers program be applied to my station if the insurance i'm under now stops carrying me? I heard you have to have 3 adults and 5 kids. Is that true? Thank you for your help.
If the Boy Scouts is covering the insurance and that is why my Explorers can ride then it makes sense that it is your insurance carrier saying no and not the state. I know my county has some depts that have Junior members and some that have Explorers. Most of the depts that I know of here allow the youth to ride in specific trucks.

As far as being an EMS Explorers...I think just about any organization can apply to have a post as long as it goes along with the Boy Scouts regulations. My dad said he was in some Explorers program as a youth for marineland....they rebuilt a boat! I am not sure about the regulations about the number of members etc. I did not set up this post. But, I will be glad to check into them. I do know they have very specific rules about making sure that their are gender specific advisors.
I was a volunteer firefighter in N.C. at one time. I think that it is your department insurance or someone is pulling your leg. That is the whole purpose of the Jr. Firefighter program is to let you do things that firemen do. Except for driving, fight fires, and stuff like that. Not to make you mad but Jr. Firefighters make go gofers on the fire scene. I will ask some friends of mine in N.C. and I will get back with about this problem.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service