I am asking advice from fellow firefighter's young and old, far and wide. I am looking to buy a new {leather} lid in early fall. I kind of have my heart set on a Cairns 880 Tradition ( which has the flip down eyeshield). I was wondering if y'all had any suggestions on what I should get. And also, does it make a differance if a but a helment with just flip eyeshields or if i buy one with a face shield/Goggles? All advice is welcome........

Views: 162

Replies to This Discussion

First of all an 880 is not leather. leather Cairns are new yorker or sam houston. Eye protection is a personal preference. If you want nfpa compliant go with a houston with goggles or face shield.osha compliance get whatever eye protection you want. Unless you go with used expect to pay 400 to 500.
Carns N5A is my personal fav. It is the yooung brother of the traditional leather. I think its the best fiting helmet on the market. Go with the flip down shield and not the goggles. The goggles get smoked after a couple of fires and are useless.
GOODLUCK in finding a helmet and keep us posted!
STAY LOW THINK SMART!!
good evening Brother, I recently purchased a Cairns N6A Houston, we have always worn the traditional style helmet in my Dept. 1010's and 1044's. I went with the N6A because our helmets must meet NFPA requirements, that means it must have impact protection,thermal protection and a penetration barrier. N5A's do not have a penetration barrier thus making them only OSHA compliant. However, the fit and comfort of a leather helmet for me has been nothing short of amazing. For the last 11 years I just thought these plastic helmets where as good as it gets, and constantly adjusting them was just part of the program. That couldn't be farther from the truth, Our heritage and tradition in the fire service has proven once again that the wheel need not be reinvented. They got right the first time with good old fashioned hand stitched leather. Never again will plastic sit on my head.... good luck with leather bound dreams of style comfort and funcionallity.

Leather for ever.
Rick Westerman
I have to agree with everyone so far. I have worn a Houston for the last 4 years and absolutely love it. I chose it over the New Yorker only because our department is going the way of NFPA. I have the bourkes for minor protection and keep a pair of innerzone 2 attached to the helmet with the nomex sock on them. they are the quick deployment style that attach on the sides and can be moved from the back of the helmet to the front by snapping them off. it just keeps the helmet completely NFPA God forbid something happens. I'd say try a few on and see what you feel comfortable in.

Josh Bartlett
First State F.O.O.L.S.
Sec/Tres
FTM PTB EGH
thanks for all the advice guys
I PERSONNALLY ENJOY WEARING THE N5A, ALL LEATHER, FAIR PRICE AND COMES WITH THE BORGES IN THE PRICE. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU ALREADY GOT YOURS BUT GOOD LUCK ANYWAYS, EVER THINK OF F.O.O.L.S?.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service