With many departments taking a closer look at Department or member fitness and wellness, what are your thoughts on a Diabetic Firefighter or Paramedic? NFPA talks about this in the 1582 Guideline and many departments have policies in regards to this condition. NFPA 1582 was changed, thanks to the help of the American Diabetes Association, and has a more reasonable method for determining if someone with diabetes is fit to perform the essential job functions. What many departments fail to realize is that the American Disability Act of 1990 restricts the unfair treatment that many Diabetics may encounter during their career. The most recent is Firefighter Christopher Guzzy who filed in Federal Court in Pittsburgh Thursday and wants a federal judge to reinstate him, order back pay, legal fees and compensatory damages after he lost his job for being recently diagnosed with Diabetes Type 1.

I hope to get some feedback from many different members around the nation that is both educational and constructive.

Enjoy Life, and as always...Stay Safe!

Views: 1694

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am a Type 2 and have just been put on light duty for three months because of a A1c of 10. Nfpa 1582 (2007) says it must be an 8. I had surgey just before my dept. physical and my blood suger was out of wack. I have never had a problem with it at all and I am under a Doctors care who feels that I am ready to go back to work . I go to the gym three to four times a week and have a fasting blood suger between 90 and 132 every morning.
I have filed for documation through the F.O.I.A for any imformation that the county has on The AHJ and when or if they have ever applied for or adoped the 1582 standard. We have a county workers comp. doctor who has taken it upon herself to put this standard into practice. Our Union has never agreed to put this in the contract, nor has our chief put it in SOP. I heed help on where to go from here . Thanks
Contact the EEOC or a employment lawyer to see what laws or governing rules apply to your state, county or country. Contact the American Diabetes Association lawyers for more detail help as well.

GOOD LUCK
Just an update, I have filed a complant with the county EEOC and with union and have had contact with the ADA . Things are moving , hope to have good news soon .

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service