New Question: Should Fire Fighter familes receive Purple Hearts for the family members they lost.

Let me explain my view on this and why I believe it should be a Purple Heart. This day was a very bad day that started a new war. In my eyes, the fighters that went into those buildings and lost their lives, walked into combat. To my knowledge(correct me if im wrong) there hasn't even been bravery awards given out on this. I think Purple Hearts should be given out to the families of not only them, but as well as the families of this on United 93 that crashed into PA. Those men and women saved a lot of lives that day, and yet that have only received a thanks from the peoples butts that they saved that day.

Views: 788

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is the recognition we recieve not enough, when we are given a funeral with honors? There is no higher act of respect or recognition I can give to a fallen brother or sister than to stand guard next to thier casket. Unfortunately I've had to do this toooooo often.
I agree that the families should be givin some sort of recognition for the sacrifice their loved ones made. But they were doing the same job as anyone of us do each time they answer the call. I would rather see the time and money spent on preserving life and preventing another tragic incident. This may sound a little cold but its still a fact,people die doing what we do they always have and they always will that is what separates us,we accept that risk and we do the JOB to the best of our abilities.I feel that we honor each one of the people that we lost that day everytime we answer the call.and yes i have been injured on the job several times putting my life on the line too save a persons life.but at the end of each call my reward is that i know that i made a difference in that persons life and the out come could of been even worst.i have been pinned between the asphault and the truck lid of a vehicle after packaging a patient cause i chose too go in the vehicle and 2. i was the smallest person on our dept.but yes i think a fallen brother's or sister's family should recieve something like a golden axe on a display honoring the member for there dedication and knowing they decided too lay down there life too try too save another person's life.but this is my opinion.......i haven't ever thought about recieving a award for the job i do each and every day.i go out and do the job cause i enjoy knowing that i'm helping people and saving lives as much as i may and that the lord put's the knowledge in my head too know what too do and when too do it.but this all my opinion not everyone will agree with me or they might not feel the way i do about it but i love doing what i do and i wouldn't stop doing it at all.but i,myself don't expect a award for saving a life or getting hurt in the line of duty.

thank you all for your time

Lt.Michael A. Perkins
Oakwood
Fire Department
&
Rescue Squad
Infectionist Control Officer
Unit#37
va.firefighter.37@hotmail.com
The Purple Heart is for the Military, but we do have medals for our profession. Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service, Meritious Service, Medal for Bravery, Medal for Heroism, Medal of Valor, Medal of Merit just to name a few. One reason we seem to have similar functions as the military is maybe because we are Governed by the Department of Military Affairs. But my personnal opinion being of both backgrounds the Purple Heart belongs to the Military, lets not take that from them.
not to be rude but i am going to quote a good friend of mine on this topic:

"Uh, HELL NO!"
Is it all about Medals, We do it for one reason and it's not for money, or Medals. give it up!!!!
I understand and do believe they should be recognized for their bravery and actions that day. However, the Purple Heart is not the appropriate recognition. It is a military medal and is reserved for Military Service Members.

Each Fire Department, and/or state or Municipality should be the deciding body as to how to recognize their loss, thier bravery and actions that day.

In my view they have already been honored and are remembered everyday. If it were me under the rubble, I would want people to move on and live life. We don't do what we do for medals, and I don't think chasing them now would honor their memories.
We are diluting, desensitizing and de-valuing what use to be a very natural process. Now, we are trying to "force" it. WE shouldn't be discussing ways to recognize US. Our recognition should come from outside of our service. We create a certain expectation when we dangle awards out in front of , in many cases, young and impressionable firefighters. Which may explain why letters recommending awards can be embellished and convoluted. It may also explain why we have firefighters setting fires. The PR machines for many fire departments are working overtime to keep their departments in the public's mind because they either want more money or they don't want to lose what budget they already have. Award ceremonies afford the perfect platform when public opinion is in the balance. Getting recognition shouldn't be a PR ploy.
I get uncomfortable talking about the "heroics" of what I did for 22 years. I leave those descriptors to others. My arms are too short to pat myself on the back. I describe what I have done over the years. Others decide if it is noteworthy. What I did should be discussed in the context of the department's catalog of accomplishments.
When one person on a department is singled out, it is counter-intuitive to other members who have had it drilled into their skulls that firefighting is ultimate and extreme TEAM. I look at it like a wrestling match. You win your match and that helps the team. If you only care about winning your match and not team points, then you have reached the pinnacle of selfishness.
In life, if you put yourself before all else, you have completely lost your perspective and your ability to successfully participate in a group setting.
If I should ever win an award, I want it to be for a complete body of work and not just ONE act picked from a long career.
Others may have a different opinion.
I respect that!
Art
Firstly.. If Im not Mistaken Does not the Fire Service Fall under the Department of Military affairs? I could be wrong on this one but I believe that We had this discussion at My FD due to funding issues.. Secondly.. To those that Say that we are just " doing our Jobs" Yes We are .. but a soldier is just " Doing His or Her Job" as well.. When We make the Decision to become Soldiers , Police Officers , EMS, Firefighters.. Thats Heroic.. after that We are just doing Our jobs.. Medals now to Me this is sort of a Big Issue.. I do feel that if a Man or Woman goes above and beyond the Call of duty He or She should be recognised for this.. I.E. A ribbon a Medal With ribbon Device.. a Departmental Citation etc.. A Medal should not be for " Bragging Rights" but to serve as a Reminder.. a reminder that This Man or Woman Stepped Up when everybody else Stepped down.. That One Time .. the Good Guy prevailed...

King
I just wanted to clarify a few things a thought I would use Engine's post as a starting point. Both commissioned and non-commissioned members of the armed forces are eligible to receive the Purple Heart (formally known as the Military Order of the Purple Heart). It is awarded for injuries received in combat or combat related forward area, thus allowing medical personnel, chaplains, etc who are injured to receive it. It is often awarded to the family posthumously along with other military honors.

Most fire departments have similar awards, eg medals of valor, service crosses, etc. But to award the Purple Heart in its military form would be inappropriate. Perhaps it would be appropriate to have a federally or individual state designated award created with military modeled qualifications and reasons for the award. Such an award could be awarded to all hazard responders, ie law enforcement, the fire service and EMS. I do think, however, that if such an award were to be created that it should be accompanied by a nationally required standard for training and education, just as in the military.
Bobby,

"The Fire Service" is a term for all Fire Fighting units, organizations, departments and services. Anyone hwo bleongs to any Fire Department is a member of "The Fire Service." It is not a government body, and does not fall under any department fo the United States, because is it not an organization; just a collective noun which serves as an umbrella for all firefighting activities.

That said, the Department of Defense and other Federal agencies have firefighting organizations, such as you will find on an Air Force Base, Army Post, or even on Indian reservations and in National PArks. These Firefighters are all civilians (with the noteable exception of Military Firefighters). Civilians are not eligible for the Purple Heart, nor are members of the Armed Forces who die fighting fire. The Purple Heart Medal is reserved for those Service members who are injured or perish while in combat against an enemy of the United States. Even Active Duty Miltary Fire fighters who die while fighting a fire don't qualify for the purple heart- unless the fire was caused an attack by enemy forces (Meaning the Air Force Tech Sergeant who dies fighting a house fire at TInker AFB, OK, wouldn't get a PH, but the Army Sergeant who died putting out a fire cuased bya mortor attack in Iraq would).

Most Departments, especially large Fire Departments, have medals for recognizing firefighters who perish in the line of duty, or perform a heroic deed. Perhaps Congress should create, and fund, a national medal for fallen Fire Fighters, Police Officers, EMS personnel and other public servants who perish in the line of duty.

My arguement against this is simple: fire fighting is local. We work for our city, county or state, we volunteer in own hometowns and we do it help our neighbors. Even Federal Firefighters belong to the _____Fire Department (i.e. the Fort Gordon Fire Department, or the Fort Meade Fire Department). As I ponder the possibility that I may be one to perish in the line of duty, I would rather people's energy go into enuring my sacrifice wasn't in vain, by ensuring people practice better fire safety and my department is better equipt and trained, then try to have a new medal created. Also, we have a National Memorial to Fallen Firefighters at Emmettsburg, Md.

Sorry to ramble, but it's chow time and I've got to get my IBA, Kevlar and MOPP Suit, get my weapon and head over the chow hall to get dinner...
Being a family emember who lost someone the answer is no. In fact while they did their job with bravery thats what they did their job! I have nothing but love and respect for everyone that was lost that day but their are fire fighters killed many other days who deserve the same respect.
I build houses on my days off and my crew and I lift heavy walls and different construction materials everyday but the other day I shot my finger with a nail gun.... "it aint now picnik", do I deserve a Purple Heart??? Hell NO! Do your job because want to or don't do it. If a family member goes out of their way to come by the station or send Thank You card... to me that is more than enough of a pat on the back.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service