Here in Missouri we have been hit hard by storms again as most all know. But when we lose one of our own it hits harder. I live in the Branson, Mo area and we didnt get hit this time but me andmy wife are also Red Cross Volunteers. We were on standby when we heard of Tyler Casey a Firefighter and a Weather Spotter who got caught up in the path of the storm and was hurt badly, and then passed on Monday May 12th. ....So please keep him and his family in our prayers as he was the father of a 2yo and had another on the way.

A Seneca, Mo., firefighter has been confirmed as among the dead. Tyler Casey, 21, a member of the Seneca Fire Department and a trained "storm spotter," was tracking the tornado when he became trapped in its path Saturday, according to Firefighterclosecalls.com. He was placed on life support but died Monday

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The loss of any life is tragic, but it especially hits home when it is one of our brothers or sisters.

My thoughts & prayers will be with his family & community.

John
Speaking as someone who has personally lost somebody very close to me (8 weeks ago) ... I'd just like to share some comments from my experience:

As we keep anyone grieving in our thoughts and prayers ... please remember that the standard, traditional, and over-used cliches are often very painful to hear. Sure, it's always a hard time to know what to say.

You can't go wrong with a simple: "I'm sorry for your loss" or "She will be missed" or
"I have lots of great memories of him" or "Let me know if I can help you somehow."

It's pretty unnecessary to point out the obvious, that someone isn't suffering anymore. And saying things like "it's for the best" and "I know how you feel" and "he/she wouldn't want you to cry" can sometimes be excruciating for the survivor to listen to. We are so fragile at this time. Even when you mean well, what you say can hurt a lot. It's not necessarily comforting to hear that someone "is in a better place now". So, consider abandoning all of the unoriginal things you've heard uttered over the years, and just speak a tiny bit from your heart. (It's not mandatory to predict that time will heal all wounds.) It's even okay to simply admit that you don't know what to say --- that's understandable.

As for the crying thing ... men, women, and children ... this is for everyone:

"It is healthy and honorable to weep at the loss of someone we love. Healthy because such passion must be released. Honorable because it is respectful to admit the importance of people who have loved and supported us ... people whose footprints cannot ever be matched." (Verse Taken From A Sympathy Card)

~Sherri

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service