I have a question. I have heard different people talking about 911 and wether it should be considered a National Holiday or not. I feel it should be and I'll tell you why. 20 yr's from now when kids are in school and they get the day off and ask why are we getting Sept. 11 off there parents can tell them, that's the day America came under attack and we lost alot of BRAVE MEN AND WOMEN that day. Plus I fell we as Americans forget to easy about what happens. I think we need to be reminded from time to time how good we have here. Ask some one on the street what happened on 09/11/01 and watch the replys you get. So if we make it a holiday then people will always remember. Just my thought.

Views: 884

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes it diffinitely should be a national holiday
December 7th isn't a holiday so I don't believe that September 11th should. Just My $.02
Doesn't it seem like there aren't as many flags waving as there was the week after 9/11? It's sad that it takes a tragedy like that for people to show their patriotism. There definitely should be a day of rememberance! On 9/11 of this year I was driving on the highway and noticed that a McDonalds restaurant didn't have their flags half way down in remembrance so I called and well the manager said he was going to put them half way down, but never did. I called back again to remind them, but the girl on the other end didn't even know how to do it. Anyways, it will be a cold day in hell before I ever walk in and eat at that establishment. McDonalds on Union Street for those who live around here don't waste you buck at their dollar menu. Same day I went to my community college to pick up my books and same thing there. I called and made sure they put the flag halfway down cause if they didn't I would've lectured their butts about it. It took them about an hour but someone got off their lazy butt and put it half way down. It's sad how people forget that day. I will never get it out of my head.

NEVER EVER FORGETTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How about "National Emergency Services Day?"
THE ATTACK ON PEARL HARBOR WAS AGAINST PRIMARY MILITARY INSTALLATIONS ATTACKING THE BATTLE SHIPS SINCE THE AIRCRAFT CARRIERS WERE NOT THERE.
THE ATTACK ON THE TOWERS WAS MADE ONLY ON CIVILIANS DONE BY COWARDS ,FOR COWARDS.
YES IT SHOULD BE A DAY OF REMEMBERANCE OF FAMILYS THAT OUR GONE BUT ALSO OF THE HEROS THAT CLIMBED THE STAIRS OF HELL TO SAVE OTHERS.

MAY THE SOUND OF THE PIPES MAKE YOUR BLOOD BOIL AND RISE YOU UP MY BROTHERS 9/11
WE WILL NEVER FORGET
Im gonna Say Yes I believe that 11SEPT Should be considered a National Holiday.. The Flags should be flown at Half mast and Full honors should be given to observe this holiday.. And the Month of September should be known as Firefighter Memorial Month ( I know there is a Law Enforcement Memorial Time Period but Im unsure if Firefighters get the same due respect)

There is a Way that we can get this up ang going .. EVERYBODY write to Your Congressman and tell them What We want

B King
No...no way 9/11 should be a holiday. You don't celebrate the day your enemy won a battle. You make it a holiday and people will want and many will get holiday pay. Hallmark will make cards etc. etc....How does that pay tribute to the dead? The day will be remembered for a very long time. Just like Dec.7 still is. There will be ceremonies for 100 years at least. A department in my state gets 9/11 as a holiday and they are hammered for it. I know that the members would gladly get rid of it as a paid holiday.It just comes across as greedy and it does nothing to honor our brothers or the rest that died that day. Rember, we already have firefighters memorial Sunday...memorial day and veterans day. All of these are days to honor the fallen. I think a more fitting tribute would be to name things after the fallen firefighters and cops. Bridges, tunnels, ballfields etc. Just my 2 cents.
So Thursday was 9/11. I had the day off of work because I had to go to court for an accident I witnessed. Well the next day I went into work (i do K-5 afterschool child care), and one of my kids had marker on her face and I asked her why. She told me it was for red white and blue day, the day I wasn't there. Well i asked her if she knew why it was red white and blue day. Well the girl next to her spoke up and said "Because it was Patriot's Day!". And I said yes, but doyou know why? They had no clue. Maybe it's just me but I feel they should be teaching the kids WHY they are wearing red white and blue! So something needs to be done to remember and teach children on this day! But not a holiday. Holidays were happy. I certaintly wasn't happy 9/11/01!
"So if we make it a holiday then people will always remember."
What about 12/7? December 7th, 1941 our nation was attacked also. There is no holiday for it, but somehow we still remember. Most kids only grasp the fact that there's no school on a "holiday". Unlike other parents, I make sure my kids understand the reason why they have no school on a "holiday". Besides, most people forget that 9/11 happened until the calendar comes around to September 11th of whatever year! A national holiday won't change that.

Should 9/11 be declared a national holiday? I don't know. I don't need a holiday to remember that day. Perhaps when we elect a new President in November, he can make that decision! Stay safe, never forget!
Hi Brian, You have my vote Brother and I couldn't agree with you more the history of this very tragic day when our nation came under attack and we lost so many Brothers and Sisters No One in this Great Country should ever forget these very sad chain of events and all of our Brotherhood that made the Supreme Sacrifise that day the United States Stood Still and was So Quiet!!! I as a firefighter would hope that after seeing that day that every single American would Never Ever Forget this Tragic Day and Bring the Cowards to Justice and that we would feel that no matter who was the President they would hunt them Cowards down like dogs. Nobody ever Tramps on America because We are Only Winners thats all America will Stand for in this Great Country, General George S. Patton made that speech to his troops back in WW11!!! I hope every American will demand our Politicians to hunt them down like dogs to bring Justice and Peace to Our Great Country because We Deserve it!!! God Bless America and All that made the Supreme Sacrifise that day!!!! The Politicians of this Great Country should make Every Volunteer Firefighter paid because we make the Supreme Sacrifise 24/7 and our Police the 911 Dispatchers and the EMS of this Country is paid why not the Great Firefighters that never know from one minute to another whether they will make that Next Alarm or their Last Alarm!!!!! God Bless America and every Firefighter in this Great Country!!!! Hugh Fawcett 57 House Irwin,PA Every Volunteer Firefighter should be demanding that We get Paid afterall there is nothing we don't do for Our Great Country!!!!!
If we don't teach the next generations about 9/11, then who will remember when we are gone?
I don't mean to sound morbid, but 9/11 will become a small snippet in our history books where it may or may not be found and comprehended.
Documentaries of 9/11 will wind up in boxes shoved well to the back of our closets and become a garage sale item. Newspapers and magazines that we all kept from that day will be found and maybe it will trigger some curiosity. But that won't be enough.
No; we have to do something NOW to insure that 9/11 will never be forgotten.
A holiday? Like Christmas? NO!
But a day of remembrance? YES!
IMHO.
TCSS.
Art
God Bless the Good Ole Pipes and I hope they make every Americans Blood Boil and realize what happened that Tragic Day 9/11/2001 of everyone that Perished that day it should be a National Day in this Great Country of Ours. We should still work in order to honor those who made the Supreme Sacrifise that day but the guys that are off we should be Paying Our Respects to Our Brothers that Have Perished that Tragic Day!!! Hugh Fawcett 57 House Irwin,PA

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service