I live in a very rural area, with the biggest town being just 1900 people, and only a few communities around, closest is us within 7 miles. We are strictly Vol. Just wondering whats your system of dispatching of Emergency Depts for structure fires and MVA's. We are trying to get an automatic mutual aid page to nieghboring Fire Dept's during structure fires, and automatic page of Fire Dept to all MVA's. We have been after this for a year, and cannot get this done. Our Sheriffs Dept does all the paging of Fire and Ambulance. When we get a call of a structure fire, we have to request mutual aid, ambulance, and public service. When they page out Ambulance to an MVA, they have to request Fire Dept, and on several occasions, have declined because police stated Fire Dept is not needed. I personaly think this is not right. Its all about safety, from protecting the seen to getting more help there as soon as possible. When we have to request extra resources, it takes up alot of time and air time on the radios. Surrounding counties do the automatic system, and it works great and saves valuable time. Am I a nut to think this way ??? How does it work for??? And what can I do to change this???

Views: 184

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would think on a building fire the Incident Commander would be the fire chief, or top ranking on scene officer and NOT the police. Once the emergency if removed, the scene is turned over to the marshals and law enforcement.
This holds true for MVA's as well. Once the victims have been removed and the hazards removed (extrication, fluid spills etc) the scene is turned over to the PD. Here the PD's work with us. We all have a job to do, and we respect each other while we do our jobs.
Your LEPC (local emergency planning committee) can enact the automatic mutual aid policy. This overrides the dispatcher protocal. If they don't comply to the LEPC standards, they will have to answer to your states EMA. This is back to basic NIMS. Interoperability is more than having dual banded radio's that can talk to Guam, it is being able to work alongside your fellow public servants without issue.
It is the community we serve that comes first, not Ego's. When ego's collide, it is the public you serve that loses.
My opinion on the best way to resolve your problem is to post your concerns in your local newspapers comment sections. Also post a remedy to the problem. Let the public know what your problem is, and how it is preventing as well as delaying proper response time to save lives and property. Get the people in your area fired up and involved.
IN THE AREA I LIVE IN WE ARE VERY RURAL. SO WHEN THERE IS A STRUTURE FIRE DISPATCH PUT OUT THE TONE FOR YOU AND THE NEXT THREE DEPTS,INCULDING ONE AMBULANCE.. WHEN WE GET ON SCENE THEN WE DECIDE IF WE NEED A SECOND ALARM PUT OUT WHICH IS ALREADY SET UP AT DISPATCH ON WHAT WE WILL NEED.. NON OF THIS TANKER HERE PUMPER FROM THERE. WE HAVE ALARMS SET UP... THIS IS A SHAME THAT NO ONE WILL WORK WITH YOU FOR THIS .. WE HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT WHEN WE GO OUT THE DOOR WE ARE GOING TO TRY TO SAVE PROPERTY OR LIVES AND THE QUICKER RESPONSE MIGHT DO THAT.. ALWAYS EASIER TO TURN PEOPLE AROUND THAN TO ALOOW SOMEONES HOUSE TO BURN MORE BECAUSE NOW WE ARE SITTING ON SCENE WAITING FOR HELP... PUSH FOR THIS THRU DISPATCH OR YOUR COUNTY EMS ... ON THE ACCIDENT DEAL TRIED THAT IN OUR COUNTY UNTIL THEY DISCARTED FIRE AND THE CAR ENDED UP CATCHING ON FIRE... RESPOND PRIORITY 2 WHICH IS NO LIGHTS AND SIREN TO THESE CALLS THAT ARE NOT IN NEED OF LIGHTS AND SIRENS OFFER THAT TO DISPATCH..
Ok, I know you've received several responses to this post. I am the 911 Coordinator with a Sheriff's Office in Indiana. I am also a Captain with a Volunteer department from a neighboring county. Having said that, I've got a couple suggestions for ya. First, you need to get your Cheifs (or officers) from the other fire departments in your county (or area) and come up with something that you'd like to see changed and how you would like it changed (Be sure that if you go to them with a problem, that you have a solution). Then you need to call a meeting with the 911 Coordinator or 911 Director to discuss it. Make sure you find the Chief in your area that is the most out-spoken and will not mince words and have him/her be the primary spokesman for your group. Make sure they understand that its NOT A CHOICE and relay to them that it needs to be done for the safety of your firefighters, other public safety personnel, and the public.

If all else fails, hit me up and I'd be glad to speak for the need from an "outsider's" perspective.
"Be sure that if you go to them with a problem, that you have a solution". Good point, that is always one of the most important things.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service